Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free EU roaming

dinnertime
Fledgling

Eu roaming charges seem to be very much on the way back for UK customers. As many of us in the UK will now be returning, or thinking of returning, to international travel as covid restrictions ease, is it time for government action on this to compel these companies to remove these unjustified charges?

35 REPLIES 35
Goblin59
Active

Just buy cheap burner sim or get an E sim download, you can get 30gb for under a tenner and a months usage

globetrekker
Fledgling

This is good to know because I am planning on seeing my family in the USA in July and don't want to end up with a massive bill at the end of the holiday. I might just get a PAYG SIM and top it up and use that while I am out there. 

mdoyle1981
Fledgling

Should we be able to use our texts calls and data abroad as we do at home without being charged like we use too?

globetrekker
Fledgling

That is a good question as I am planning to visit family in the USA in July and want to be able to use my phone and data and not come back home to a huge surprise bill.  I would be gutted if that happened. 😑

sc1999
Local celebrity

We need someone with some knowledge of how the mobile companies charge each other for roaming. Is there an actual cost involved for the networks or is it a way of making extra profit? Considering that all of these processes must be automated I cannot see what costs are involved other than additional wear and tear on the network infrastructure.

Maybe we need to go back to the old days and buy a cheap SIM when we get there. Amazon Spain sells a 25Gb card for 18 Euro so I imagine there must be cheap cards available for other EU countries. Not sure about the US as their mobile charges are high.

Moderator, please note that I am not trying to be too intense, whatever that means.

dvy2021
Fledgling

If laws are removed saying that companies can't do something, they are likely to do it. So when we left the EU, if there was the opportunity to charge customers more, mobile companies were going to do it. It really needs legislation from government to stop people feeling the pinch, especially with the cost of living crisis. 

Anyway, steering away from politics as the mods probably don't like that :-), practically i would get myself a burner phone on one of the networks that hasn't reintroduced charges if i was going for a longer period, and make use of free wifi when i can if not. Almost all hotels and accommodations now offer wifi (although not always free, it should prove better value than roaming), and a lot of town centres particularly in southern Europe have a city wide network. 

Anyway, as a message to Three, i would say please bring back free roaming. For a network that made a big amount of noise about roaming just a few years ago, it was disappointing to see them bring back charging so quickly. 

Springwater35
Active

I would love to see free International roaming charges return as I think £5.00 a day is well over the top. I also think the data cap is to low as well 

coglioncello
Regular

Most of the UK operators are keeping free roaming...the roaming charges 3 has introduced are excessive. Can this be escalated please? 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi coglioncello,

We appreciate that the free Go Roam was a fantastic benefit of Three contracts over the years. The decision to introduce daily charges was a difficult one, and only made after careful consideration, and we've made every effort to keep the charges to a minimum.

We're always happy to pass on feedback though, thanks for continuing to contribute to the Three Community.

JonathanB

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

sc1999
Local celebrity

Jonathan, how about a lesson in roaming economics? Who charges who? Does 3 charge foreign networks and do they charge 3 or is it another profit centre?