Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free EU roaming

dinnertime
Fledgling

Eu roaming charges seem to be very much on the way back for UK customers. As many of us in the UK will now be returning, or thinking of returning, to international travel as covid restrictions ease, is it time for government action on this to compel these companies to remove these unjustified charges?

35 REPLIES 35
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi sc1999,

I totally appreciate the interest in this but there's little more that I can share. I can confirm we do pay the host operators abroad so that customers can roam.

Due to the volume of the underlying costs, we've made this difficult decision to set these daily charges, but it was identified as the best solution. Customers are clear on what they pay, it's a fixed amount, and in proportion to time spent roaming by each customer.

JonathanB

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!

sc1999
Local celebrity

Thank you.                                    .

cgkhive
Active

The fraud scandal by Three is reducing what they pay to host operators abroad by sending false information to Three customers.  

I've wasted a minimum of 3 man days on chat (being asked so many mundane irrelevant questions to waste time) and speaking to complaints department.   

While abroad, I was told I had used my 12GB fair usage roaming allowance.  My wife the same.  Three were unable to do anything until the next bill came out.  That showed we had used about 6GB and 2GB from memory.  And I was going abroad on another holiday so needed to have it resolved.

Three told me the over-reporting was a known issue with moving to a new IT system and should have been sorted, and I should reset my phone stats then monitor and as long as the Roaming stats were less than 12GB, I would be fine.  Sure enough, I got an SMS saying I was 80% through my 12GB monthly allowance.  Yet my accurate roaming data usage on the phone was only 2.2GB 

DK1083
Fledgling

Just about to purchase 14 day Go Roam passes for EU but not sure if I should now having read these posts. Have the over reporting of data use issues been resolved?

sc1999
Local celebrity

If you check the dates of the posts there have not been any recent complaints. 

cgkhive
Active

I’ve not been abroad to test again. I suggest you do what Three told me to do. Reset your statistics on your phone which shows data usage and roaming data usage (certainly on iPhone anyway), before you leave UK, then when abroad as long as that remains under 12GB, ignore any messages you may get about over usage. 
Take screenshot of data at zero - proves date you did it - and when you get back. Then simply wait for next bill which will most likely reflect the actual usage.  Only annoyance is the man hours/days you will spend if necessary trying to get Three to comprehend.