cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go Roam / Data Passport / AeroMobile

Nathe
Fledgling

I'm currently travelling for a few days, for the first time since the pandemic, & my experience with Three these days is baffling.

As I understood it when I am travelling Go Roam would apply if I used data or text/call in the 24 hours (uk time).

I have found that I suddenly have £45 of spend on my account for "Internet Services" all from the day I'm travelling out, despite only travelling to Go Roam countries. I checked before I left that I was only travelling to/over/through Go Roam countries, so I didn't think I really needed to worry. There is nothing in your website to warn about these airline mobile providers, not indication that it's a problem, & no information about the charges.

It seems that the Airlines now have a Mobile Service provider on the plane, & if your phone connects to this, the data will very quickly rack up a huge cost. This is nothing more than a scam, & Three are at fault. I'm travelling to & over Go Roam countires, I didn't expect to connect to a network that would charge me £6 per MB. That is an insane rate, no one in the world is deliberately using that. It's nothing more than stealing, it's clearly not intentional spend.

Surely we can have a Roam setting that limits data connectivity to Go Roam network providers? That is what we as users want, a setting that allows us to control the data spend without these surprise scam charges sneaking in...

This brings me to the next problem, I always have a £10 spend cap on my accounts with Three to prevent this kind of thing. Whenever the contract renews the spend cap gets removed, despite me asking for it when renewing the account. I know I asked for it to be applied when I renewed the contract, but when I logged in & checked today it's set to uncapped.

The barrage of text messages about data roaming, international rates, data passports etc I get when travelling are confusing at best. 

Three have made international charges so complicated & unworkable that I won't renew any of my contracts.

2 REPLIES 2
sc1999
Local celebrity

I do not think that you are alone and it's time 3 simplified the roaming process.

StephR
Employee
Employee

Hi there, @Nathe, thanks for joining us here at Three Community.

I'm sorry you've been left so disappointed with your roaming experience so far, an unexpected bill is never good. We try to make sure our customers have all the info they need about roaming, and we do mention airline and maritime networks in our support pages, which you can find here. Turning on airplane mode, or keeping data roaming turned off until you've reached your destination, can help minimise the risk of an accidental connection. I really appreciate your feedback about this though, particularly on the volume of notifications you receive while you're travelling. 

Your spend cap should definitely be taken into consideration when upgrading with the help of an advisor, so I'm really sorry that's not be set as you asked. If you haven't done so already, you can change that cap by logging into My3.

I've sent you a private message so we can take a closer look at all of this for you, and see what we can do to help. Just tap your avatar, then Messages to check your inbox.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.