cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payment

Javier240
Fledgling

Currently closing the online bank I used for my direct debit. Moved everything over to another bank but completely forgot about my phone. 
Direct debit was due on 02/05/24, but bounced. Paid balance in full on 07/05/2024 once I realised. 
Will this be shown as a missed payment on my credit file? 
Tried speaking to three but nobody seems to know or want to help. 

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can’t give you a rock solid yes  or no on this but somewhere in the back of mind it’s telling me that you won’t get a late payment marker because you cleared it within 7 days of the due date. This isn’t to be taken as gospel so I’m going to ask @JonathanB  one of the staff moderators for his input. Hopefully he can help. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Javier240,

I'll do my best to get some clarity on this. Most companies including Three do make a 2nd attempt 7 days later to take a Direct Debit, so I believe that's what @Anonymous is referring to.

I'm assuming you haven't actually had notice of a late payment at this stage from a Credit Report if this only happened a couple of days ago? I can confirm that a late payment is not as impactful to credit scores as a defaulted payment. So paying this as soon as you were aware and could do so was the best thing to do.

I'll try and get you some clarity either way, but I do have to say that marks on credit reports have to be accurate, we can only remove them when there's evidence that a bill was unpaid due to some error on Three's part.

I'll try and get a more definitive answer as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @JonathanB .

Javier240
Fledgling

Thanks Jonathan! Let me know if you find out anymore info. Just in the process of sorting a mortgage, so it’s a nightmare

Harsh270197
Fledgling

@JonathanB @Javier240 

Just checking on this. Did this result in a missed payment on credit file? Kind of in a similar situation right now, where my account missed the payment but my app says it’s paid and I have to wait till it reflects in my app to pay it manually or wait for the 2nd attempt.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Harsh270197,

We didn't get feedback from @Javier240 as to if they saw any sort of impact on their credit file specifically. My understanding of our systems is that an account only goes into our debt collection processes if the 2nd Direct Debit attempt fails one week later.

If you do get feedback from a credit reference agency about a late payment please let us know though.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

igor12345
Fledgling

Hi @JonathanB

I’m experiencing a similar issue to Javier. My direct debit was 20/06/24. The payment then bounced, and Three took it in July instead. I understood Three would make a second attempt to collect it, yet it did not; it collected it in the following month. This is now flagging up as a Missed Payment on my credit file.

I’d be grateful for some further guidance as it appears that the 2nd Direct Debit attempt was not made by Three.

I was not notified by Three about any of this and have only discovered it upon seeing it on the credit file which has made me worried and stressed since as it will have an effect on my mortgage application this year.

Thanks,

Igor

@Harsh270197 have you got any updates?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @igor12345,

I'm sorry to hear about this. So just to clarify there the Direct Debit wasn't cancelled or the bank asked to recall any payment, the 1st attempt failed and there was simply no 2nd attempt? That's very unusual, so I'd recommend if you haven't already to raise a credit file dispute with customer services.

If our credit team agree that there was an error on Three's part then any negative marker should be removed from your credit file.

Thanks,
Jonathan

JayChester
Fledgling

Hi, Jonathan

Wondering if you could help me. I'm in a similar situation, wherein I have a late payment recorded on my credit score, and it's from Three. I had a LOT of trouble getting my Three accounts back after Three updated its systems last year and I had three lines to manage. When getting the access to my lines back, proved almost impossible (i.e. I had to change all previous account credentials which kept failing, and then come up with three different emails to connect to each line, also very difficult to do and manage) I cancelled my Three accounts very, very reluctantly. While closing the accounts it seems I missed a payment and I still don't which account it was for, and ultimately paid it late. I have written a letter of goodwill that I would like Three to consider, especially since my case it related to Three's system update, to consider removing this late payment strike. Could I please get a mailing address and email that I can send this letter to?