cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Upgrade Scam

SimonP
Fledgling

Hi ,

I keep getting calls from a call center saying they are from Three and I have been selected for an upgrade as special promotion even though I am only 12 months through a 24 month contract. They call from mobile number starting 07451. I have not given personal details other than email to see the offer.  I see this as suspicious and a potential scam. They have sent an email from customer.sales@threegmobiles.uk.

Is this a scam?

Kind Regards

Simon

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SimonP,

Thanks for raising awareness about this. It's at best a 3rd party dealer using a similar name to confuse customers into thinking they are contacting you from Three, and at worst this could be a fraudster. We'll never call you from a mobile number, and we don't use the email domain you've mentioned.

We actually trade as Three, and you may see us referred to as Hutchison 3G UK Limited, but we never use the name Three g that you mentioned in that email.

If you would like to report any nuisance/scam/fraudulent callers, send a free text to 7726 with message CALL then the number you received the call from, this helps our Customer Protection Team investigate abusive and scam activities.

There's some more help info on Fraud to watch out for on our website.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

4 REPLIES 4
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SimonP,

Thanks for raising awareness about this. It's at best a 3rd party dealer using a similar name to confuse customers into thinking they are contacting you from Three, and at worst this could be a fraudster. We'll never call you from a mobile number, and we don't use the email domain you've mentioned.

We actually trade as Three, and you may see us referred to as Hutchison 3G UK Limited, but we never use the name Three g that you mentioned in that email.

If you would like to report any nuisance/scam/fraudulent callers, send a free text to 7726 with message CALL then the number you received the call from, this helps our Customer Protection Team investigate abusive and scam activities.

There's some more help info on Fraud to watch out for on our website.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

SimonP
Fledgling

Hi Johnathan

Thank you for your prompt response and support.  This confirmed my suspicions.

Kind Regards

Simon 

nyitunsan
Fledgling

I received similar call from 020 8446 8671. Email - sales@threeupgrade.co.uk

Is this a scam?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @nyitunsan,

Yeah this will be a 3rd party and very likely a scam, especially if they're claiming to be contacting you from Three directly. We don't use 0208 numbers or @threeupgrade.co.uk email addresses.

Thanks,
Jonathan