cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming - can make calls in Australia, but can't connect to internet

Roaminguser1964
Fledgling

Hi all,

I arrived in Australia 24 hours ago. My sim picked up a local network, and I have made a long call to the UK, but for some reason it won't connect to the internet, which is limiting my communication here. Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix? I have turned international roaming off and back on and the same with mobile data and the phone itself and swapped the sim to a second phone, but no joy.

Also, not sure what board to post this on.

12 REPLIES 12
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Roaminguser1964,

Thanks for joining the Three Community, I'll do my best to help. 🙂

If you're able to make calls then roaming is definitely enabled on your account, so it's likely a network or settings issue. Just to check, when you were in the settings did you find one called "data roaming"? This may be off by default.

I'd also try settings your network or carrier selection to manual instead of automatic, and try connecting to alternative networks, just in case there's some local issue with data.

Let us know if any of these fix it.

As to which board, I see where you're coming from, it could be a network or services issue and difficult to say which without finding the solution. I wouldn't worry about that too much, we can move the post if necessary once we have a better idea of the cause. 

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Roaminguser1964
Fledgling

Hi, thanks for the swift response and suggestions, data roaming is on as well as mobile data (I did find the button you mentioned). I've also tried switching to manual for the carriers. There are only three - Optus, Telstra and Vodafone. Changing carriers seems to take a while, but I've been on at least two and it didn't make a difference. Frustrating!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

That does sound really frustrating! As we've covered all the basics, I'll PM you some instructions on how to get further help with this.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Barter
Fledgling

Hi there,

Was there a resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same in Australia, showing good signal and 4g however no data. 
thank you

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Barter,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're also running into issues with getting online in Australia. Have you tried all the suggestions on the earlier replies?

Check data is on, data roaming is on, and manually connecting to any available networks, is it the same on all networks? Are you also finding that you can call, and that only data is affected?

Let me know and I'll check the best next steps.

JonathanB

Grea22
Fledgling

Hello I am having the same issues also can’t connect to voicemail!!

Grea22
Fledgling

Also I can receive calls but not make calls please help how do I contact three to solve or has anyone got a fix, thanks

Esztersebok
Fledgling

Hi, I’m having the same issue. I even paid for the data passport…. Please help 

Esztersebok
Fledgling

I’m having the same issue, please help