Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming stopped working

theo_barfoot
Fledgling

I am currently abroad in the USA. My roaming has just stopped working.

I have increased my spending limit to £50 to allow for the daily £5 charge. But after 6 days, my roaming has stopped, with my extra charges being £30 as expected.

I am getting a message saying "you've reached your usage limit or run out of data". I have 90GB+ left of data and £20 of extra charges left.

A similar and recent issue on this forum seems to suggest that it might be due to my "credit limit" being reached, which I cannot change myself.

Is this really the case? If so, surely this is a big limitation of using three abroad? It seems bizarre that I have to contact customer service to enable a functionality as basic as roaming.

7 REPLIES 7
MZone
Rising star

All networks have a credit limit on people’s accounts not just three otherwise people would just go rogue and run up massive bills and some wouldn’t be able to afford to pay. You need to call them or go on live chat to find out what’s the issue. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

How much data have you used as it's limited to 12gb per month roaming. 

MZone
Rising star

Think you need to call them to get your go roam credit limit increased as think most people are capped at £45 to stop you getting a big bill. It all depends what tariff you’re on and when you took your deal out so you have to check the respective price guides. If you go over 12GB they apply a surcharge of so many pence per megabyte unless you buy a data passport but that is a 24 hour add on so you’d have to work out what is right for you. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

Not if he has hit his credit limit. He could buy a preloaded sim and use a local network.

sc1999
Local celebrity

Another possibility is that 3 have raised your monthly bill and this may have taken you over your credit limit. If this is the case then it will be sorted when the money is taken from your account.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi, Theo. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues while traveling, I know that can be quite frustrating.

There are a few different limits that can affect your usage, each of them have different benefits. If you still have an allowance left and haven't received the warning message about using 100% of your allowance, this would indicate that the system is having issues completing the daily charge. In that case, it would be either the Credit Limit (set by Three) or Spent Limit (set by you) that's causing the issue. 

If that's the case, you should be able to make a manual payment onto your account to release the limit. If you do decide to make a payment, you might need to turn the phone off and on or turn flight mode on and off to refresh the connection afterwards in order to get things running again. 

Pete.

theo_barfoot
Fledgling

Thanks for all the replies, it now resolved.

I have only used 5GB of roaming data so far, so that wasn't the issue.

I tried to pay my bill to solve the issue, but it said there was nothing to pay, so not sure how to do the manual payment.

I contacted customer service and increased my credit from £50 to £65, assuming this would fix the issue. It did not fix the issue. 

What worked was increasing my spending cap from £50 to £60. I was only at £30 usage, so I don't know why this worked, unless my monthly payment of £16 was included in the spending cap, but that doesn't make sense as I preciously had it set to £0 with no issues.

This has been an absolute minefield to try and solve and very frustrating when travelling. Some clearer instructions about roaming seems to be needed. Or just being able to pay a fixed amount to use roaming for a period would be much simpler than trying to navigate the opaqueness of the spending limits and credit limits.