cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls from people claiming to be 3

Hatshepsut
Fledgling

Keep getting calls from this number: 03333381017 - by people with "offers" for my 3 plan. They are very persistent and I have good reasons to think they're scammers but just wanted to be certain they're not some overzealous subcontractors working for 3. 

32 REPLIES 32
RameshRadharapu
Fledgling

HI Jonathan,

I have received similar calls and they upgrade my contrac to phone withoput my knowledge, they intially mentioned the offer is for discount from 3 as I am with 3 since 2006, and they did changed my address and email and upgraded the contract to phone, I did informed about this scam to 3 2 days ago, but still 3 delivered the order to some address which is not mine. I stongly feel 3 customers data is compromised and some one inside 3 is involved in this as well.  The funniest thing is 3 dont have an option to inform this as an emergency and no option to speak to them directly. Shame on 3.. once my issue is resolved with 3 I will rething to stay with 3 or not.

Hi I'm getting calls from 02032866026 claiming to be from three about a phone upgrade  I was wondering if you  could let me no if they are scamming or if it is actually 3 or contractor as they're asking for a payment to be put on hold in mu bank and it just doesn't sound right please get back to me if you  could thanks

NigelD
Fledgling

Hi, I have had multiple calls by people claiming to be from 3 and offering me what sounds like offers which are too good to be trus, i.e. reducing my monthly bill from £65/month to £30/month with a free phone upgrade to the latest iPhone 15 Pro Max. They are very persistent and I have good reasons to think they're scammers but just wanted to be certain that they don't work for 3 and I'm missing out on a great deal.

The numbers I'm getting calls from are:- 01135191013; 01313810313; 01415015130; 01313813812; 02881419551; 02882123327; 01415015119; 01313585529

NigelD

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @NigelD,

We don't use landline area codes (numbers beginning 01 or 02), at best you're dealing with a 3rd party dealer trying to get a commission, and at worse this may be a scam or fraud.

Here's a page on Fraud to watch out for, with some more handy info. It's always worth sending a free text message to 7726 with the message CALL followed by the suspicious number you've been called from. This helps alert our Customer Protection Team, so that they can take action to help protect against spammers and scammers.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

goldfield
Fledgling

thank you.  i had call from 01644 216336 advising that as i was a good customer and paid on time they could reduce my bill. They then asked what my last bill was.  I said that they should know that.   I asked them to email me for security, which they said they would but i should wait on the line until its received.  I then said i would check the email and call back. They then put the phone down. Scam or 3rd party as you say.    thanks for noting above re phone numbers.

Elliemac42
Active

Same happened had a Indian man saying he was from 3 network & due to 3 network going down so much they were calling costumers to reduce bills / the real 3 network needs to be doing more about this as they do have network issues & that’s what got me to talk to them for a short time 

sc1999
Local celebrity

If you are ever in doubt about who you are talking to, say: I am sorry but I am busy and hang up. You can always contact 3 and ask if they called you. And remember the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

stevieburt
Fledgling

I just had a very concerning experience with a likely fraudster/scammer pretending to be Three. He called from a landline number (as you can imagine, when I googled it, it was listed as a number for a takeaway in Scotland, likely nothing to do with this scam) 

He was offering half-off my bill as I am an existing customer. Suspecting it was a scam, I didn't give him more than my name initially, I thought this is common information. It proceeded and I thought maybe it could be legit, but grew wary when he asked for my model of my phone, offering other upgrades and the for my household. 

THEN, and this is the kicker, he said he had sent me a verification code, which came from Three (I had a previous text message thread containing more of these) so I gave it to him... stupid, I realised later with some clarity of thought. 

I then received a text message from Three saying my email address had been changed. This set off the alarm bells. LUCKILY, I was already logged into my Three mobile app during this suspicious call, so I had access to my account still. The email address has been changed to terminator****@hotmail.com. I immediately hung up, but in a way that would not arise suspicion. 

I managed to call Three, although I had to fein interest in an account upgrade to get to a real person quickly, this should be fixed! And the advisor there was very helpful, he told me however that Three had no record of calling me that day or any time recently. I managed to set up a pin and whatnot and change my email address back and get my account back.

However, I was lucky! Please be careful with this scammers, because, yes, in hindsight it seems obvious, but when you're on the phone not everyone is as savvy, I wasn't! It's scary because ACTUAL Three ask you for these verification codes, and it came from their number both times. But the first caller wasn't Three. They must have had my details from a security leak elsewhere, and somehow got in and sent that verification through.

Be careful out there people! 

Raeevs
Fledgling

Just had the same phone call from a scottish takeaway offering 35% - I said to them this is too good to be true and they stated it was because I was loyal (only been back with 3 since February). Just hang up!

leahcarrenidrag
Fledgling

I have had persistent calls for the last few weeks, one earlier today from 020 4586 8496 and another one in the last 5 minutes from 07490 274935 saying they can offer 30% off my 3 bill. People from work call me on my personal number and I can't change the settings to silence all unknown numbers for this reason. 

What is being done about this scam, or is this legitimate?