cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam - iPhone

Mik77
Regular

Got a call a month ago offering £5 sim deal. Accepted 2x Sims and got an email confirmation which looked like it was an official Three one. They took my card details for 'security deposit'. Next day the Three package arrived via DPD - a £1400 iPhone 15 Max Pro. Shortly after, the phone rang - apologies, mistake at Three warehouse due to new employee can you send it back to the address we will Whatsapp. Send us photos and receipts from Post Office for special delivery and we will refund. To be honest it was all very convincing until the address came through, which looked suspect, so whilst still on the phone to the scammer I got on to the Three webchat and they confirmed (eventually) that the address was not a Three one and I should take it to a Three store. Hung up on the scammer and informed my bank and police. Next day someone tried to use my bank card details to purchase something and also a direct debit appeared on my bank account for 'device payment'. Cancelled both. Checked my Three account and iPhone shows up at £35 monthly. Took phone to nearest Three store on the Saturday (45 minute drive), told to take it to a different Three store (another 25 minute drive) who then told me no Three store can accept a phone back, call Customer Services and they will send a jiffy bag. Customer Services set up a security lock on my account and said that someone had changed my email address the day before delivery so that I got no notification of the iPhone coming. It would be passed to their fraud department.

So, here's the problem - Three are giving me no instructions whatsoever as to returning the phone and are about to take payments for it from my bank account. What do I do?  Inform the FCA as it's a credit agreement, contact my local MP, contact the Ombudsman? The police have asked me to let them know what Three are doing, so I will tell them shortly that they are unfortunately doing nothing.

Anyone had a similar experience?  It obviously involves either a Three employee or someone who can hack accounts, so anyone is vulnerable until they sort it out.

4 REPLIES 4
Paddiewack
Superstar

To the best of my knowledge Three would NEVER WhatsApp anyone whatever the issue. You’ve clearly been scammed by someone and your first step would be to report your situation to action fraud (Google it). Then you call customer service and tell them what you’ve done and say you didn’t order this phone and to stop the d/d collection. My advice to you would be not to cancel the direct debit as then you could have a late payment marker put on your credit file. Three also have a complaint form on their homepage and you could do worse than complete it. These are my practical advice steps and there’s probably more you can/need to do but it’s a start. Remember the old adage if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I genuinely wish you well.

Mik77
Regular

Have contacted Customer Services 4 times already. Time passing... and I won't allow any payment to be taken for something I didn't order so will risk the late payment marker if I have to and then argue about it. But thanks I will pursue the other things you mention and try Three one last time today.

Paddiewack
Superstar

As I said I genuinely wish you luck. You’re not the first and you won’t be the last to be caught out so don’t beat yourself up about it 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mik77,

I'm sorry to hear about this fraudulent activity. I hope that you've received more advice on the investigation into the fraud when you were back in touch, but just in case, I'll also send you a PM to help you get in touch with more support regarding this.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.