cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Pay monthly SIM contract to PAYG SIM

panda
Regular

I can't seem to find any information about switching from a monthly Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month plan to PAYG keeping the same phone number and using a physical SIM card (in an iPhone). How does one proceed and what is the timeframe as I believe there's one month notice on the pay monthly plans?

It it helps, I'd like to switch from a 'Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month' plan that is way past the initial year to a Three PAYG as I'll be spending time abroad so won't use much my UK SIM at all, but would like to keep my phone number.

Can it be done online or in the iOS app (I couldn't find how)? Should I go into a shop? Any other advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @panda,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. We intended to direct you to use either the "chat now" button or the phone numbers listed in the "Call us" section. Did you manage to get the transfer to PAYG arranged?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

33 REPLIES 33
JohnD
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @panda 

Totally something that can be done, when converting to a PAYG there is a 30-day notice period. The team will be happy to help to get this arranged for you. 

You can find all relevant contact info here: https://www.three.co.uk/support/contact-us 

Thanks

John

panda
Regular

Thank you. Following this link the options that make most sense ends up on https://www.three.co.uk/support/upgrades

The first option Use the Three app doesn't work or I couldn't find how to do it using it, so I guess you mean I should contact the team (is that a specific team I should ask for?) via either of the two other options: Live chat or Visiting my local store.

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @panda,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. We intended to direct you to use either the "chat now" button or the phone numbers listed in the "Call us" section. Did you manage to get the transfer to PAYG arranged?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

panda
Regular

Thank you for the clarification. I haven't done it yet as I'm trying to get the 30 day notice to end at just the right time so aim to request the switch early July. I'll try the live chat as calling is difficult for me.

Ellieps
Fledgling

Hi John,

I just had the most frustrating 30 min trying to talk to someone on the Chat. I've been told you don't offer the switch from pay monthly to Pay as you go. VERY FRUSTRATING, specially finding these conversations where you say it's possible. Now I need to either keep paying forever, or move to another company. I just wanted to stop paying monthly but keep my phone number but seems that now you don't offer that option, or so I've been told.

Really bad customer service. I've been a client for many years and now I feel very frustrated. 

Flyer
Fledgling

Hi!

I had exactly the same experience. After chatting for an hour over the phone I have been told I should go with another provider! Disgraceful !

GMC86
Fledgling

Hello, I came across this post when searching for an answer to the same question. 
I have just finished a live chat via the mythree app and was told that my number can no longer be transferred from an out of contract pay monthly tariff to a PAYG and retain the number. 
This is due to ‘new IT systems’ that do not have that functionality apparently. 
I find it difficult to believe that this method was recommended on here a week ago and now the systems have all suddenly been updated without this functionality. 

Can you please confirm if this is indeed the case, looking at the three website switching section it seems to suggest that you can still transfer numbers between 3 accounts?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GMC86,

Thanks for raising this point. Accounts system updates are happening in stages, so you may see queries on the community from users that haven't had the update yet. 

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding on the part of the chat team. PAYG is currently on the older system, so we can't change your existing account and plan to PAYG in the interim, but if you acquire a PAYG SIM then you should be able to transfer your number to the corresponding PAYG account. 

If you don't have a PAYG SIM handy, you can order one for free. Once you've received this, the Pay Monthly team should be able to supply a PAC code to authorise your number transfer, then connect you to the PAYG team to schedule the move.

Thanks,
Jonathan

GMC86
Fledgling

Hi Jonathan, thank you for the feedback, at least I know that this is possible. 
The representative I spoke to said there was no way of retaining the number so was a very frustrating conversation. 
Thank you for your support.