cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Pay monthly SIM contract to PAYG SIM

panda
Regular

I can't seem to find any information about switching from a monthly Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month plan to PAYG keeping the same phone number and using a physical SIM card (in an iPhone). How does one proceed and what is the timeframe as I believe there's one month notice on the pay monthly plans?

It it helps, I'd like to switch from a 'Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month' plan that is way past the initial year to a Three PAYG as I'll be spending time abroad so won't use much my UK SIM at all, but would like to keep my phone number.

Can it be done online or in the iOS app (I couldn't find how)? Should I go into a shop? Any other advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @panda,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. We intended to direct you to use either the "chat now" button or the phone numbers listed in the "Call us" section. Did you manage to get the transfer to PAYG arranged?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

View solution in conversation

33 REPLIES 33
jimjamz
Fledgling

As of May 2024, Three are still unable to switch Three customers from a Monthly account to a PAYG account.

I spoke to customer support, who confirmed this.  I also received the same information by speaking to an agent via the live chat.

The only way to achieve this is to follow their bizarre procedure of requesting a PAC, moving to another network, then moving back to Three on a PAYG SIM.  Ludicrous! It's 2024 and how long have Three been around?  Yet, they cannot achieve such a commonly requested task in order to retain customers.  If you put me through so many hoops to try and keep me on a Three monthly contract, what makes you think I'd go to all the effort to return to Three just to be on a PAYG?

herbief
Fledgling

Is this still ongoing?  I am getting the same response from customer support (via 333) and getting no ETA on when this will be resolved.  Seems completely ridiculous!  I registered a complaint but don’t have confidence it will ever get addressed.

jimjamz
Fledgling

I would not wait for this to be resolved.  Three have had years to accomplish this and have made no suggestions that they plan to do this.  I see it as a ploy to discourage current contract customers to revert back to, or switch to PAYG.  Even if Three had our best intentions at heart, it is probably a small percentage of customers who are wanting to make the switch, that Three will use this statistic as a means to justify not going to the effort of implementing this process.

I've already moved away from Three in May.  I do not plan on returning to Three as a PAYG customer.

KateS
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @herbief,

Unfortunately, we're unable to offer a swap from Pay Monthly to Pay As You Go currently. It is something we've been able to do in the past, however, at this time, we're unable to process these requests.

The only way around this would be to port your number to an alternative provider on a PAYG SIM temporarily and port back to Three on a Pay As You Go account.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Kate

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here