cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Pay monthly SIM contract to PAYG SIM

panda
Regular

I can't seem to find any information about switching from a monthly Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month plan to PAYG keeping the same phone number and using a physical SIM card (in an iPhone). How does one proceed and what is the timeframe as I believe there's one month notice on the pay monthly plans?

It it helps, I'd like to switch from a 'Three Advanced SIM 8GB Data Unlimited Minutes - 12 month' plan that is way past the initial year to a Three PAYG as I'll be spending time abroad so won't use much my UK SIM at all, but would like to keep my phone number.

Can it be done online or in the iOS app (I couldn't find how)? Should I go into a shop? Any other advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @panda,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. We intended to direct you to use either the "chat now" button or the phone numbers listed in the "Call us" section. Did you manage to get the transfer to PAYG arranged?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

View solution in conversation

33 REPLIES 33
panda
Regular

Your responses would be so helpful if the other teams at Three agreed!

Seeing @GMC86 post and your reply I ordered a PAYG SIM in preparation. It never arrived. I popped in a shop who only sell PAYG SIMs with a data pack, however I was told by the shop assistant a PAYG SIM is not needed.

Now, I've just spent an hour (one hour and 25 seconds to be precise) on the live chat system. The first person told me the switch was possible but then transferred me to the 'Options team'. The conclusion of which, after checking with a manager was: 

'Thank you for waiting, I did check for you Panda, but below are the only two options available for you.

I can either move you a rolling contract which you will be able to cancel or upgrade anytime [I was offered a discount on the price I currently pay]

OR I can help you with a PAC code which will help you to transfer your number over to any other provider.'

This was explained earlier in the chat as 'I completely understand your disappoint and we apologize for the inconvenience, but we are currently updating our system and moving to a new IT platform. due to this we do not have the option to move your number to PayG.'

So contrarily to what you explained in this Community chat. The teams that do switching between plans told me the only solution is to move to another network. Not a solution I had researched so I now have a PAC and will look at what PAYG options exist on other networks. I have been happy for many years on Three but a monthly plan no longer makes sense to me and leaving Three is the only option offered to keep my number. I asked, tongue in cheek, for recommendations of competing networks' PAYG but didn't get any.

It's very bizarre that one has to leave the Three network to keep one's phone number. It is completely broken that the advice here on the community website, by a shop assistant, by the first team dealing with Live chat and by the options team is all different.

Chris_10
Regular

Its now February and I have the exact same issue -- bonkers

Flyer
Fledgling

Hi!

Yesterday I have been told that there is no way I can keep my number although I already have a new PAYG sim ( which I haven’t used yet). 
I have been advised to get a PAC code and to go with another provider or chose another monthly contract which I do not want. Unbelievable…

PeterB
Fledgling

i have just come across this chat as I have also wanted to transfer my telephone number from my existing contract that has now expired into a PAYG SIM instead, and for much the same reasons as the original poster. The new contract deals offer more data than I really need for approx. 30% more monthly cost and there is no roaming, apart from purchasing individual blocks of time, at additional cost. I have a Three PAYG SIM already that provides me with all the data that I need AND roaming, all for slightly less than my older contract price.

I have spent a number of frustrating hours firstly with in-store staff then with the team on the 'live chat'  and have been given various responses ranging from being offered contract deals at 2.5x more than my previously expired contract through to being advised to get a PAC, transfer to another network then transfer back in again. Surely there must be another way?

I have been with three for more than 15 years and have always been more than happy with the service and coverage in my area and overseas.

Is there anyone from Three that reads these forums that can offer a simpler way, or are they happy to lose long term customers?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @PeterB,

We were unable to offer a move from contract to PAYG during an interim period where some system updates were going through, but our teams that deal with retentions and cancellations should now have a process to achieve this. This has only just recently became possible again though. 

How long have you been trying to get this move to PAYG sorted out?

Thanks,
Jonathan

frustrated1
Fledgling

This is still a problem - please see recent posts below from "frustrated3user" and myself about the same issue.   Using the chat brings absolutely no assistance.  

We need someone higher up in 3 to give us some definite answers, and fast.

--mary

Chris_10
Regular

Hi Peter I am in exactly the same situation - did you resolve this - I feel like Im going aroudn in circles.  Its ridiculous all I want is to Transfer to PAYG sim to keep the Go Roam feature that I have had for years as |I havent upgraded my contract because I knew i would lose that feature

frustrated3user
Fledgling

Was told the same thing today by someone on the Live chat - they can't move me to a PAYG sim due to 'changing the IT systems' or something like that. Very frustrating experience.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @frustrated3user,

I'm sorry to hear that the team weren't able to help. We'd like to take a closer look into this, so I'll send you a PM to get you in touch with some more help.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

frustrated1
Fledgling

Another frustrated user here.

What a joke that the "best answer" is to talk to the chat team!

I have had correspondence with members of the chat team, telling me they cannot change my number back to PAYG.  There is "no menu option", they say.  I need to move to a different Provider in order to keep my number!! It's particularly frustrating as this number was originally a PAGY up to about a week ago.

My story:

- have had a PAYG number with 3 (call it number A) for a couple of years since I moved that number A from an old provider.

- was looking at details of plans a week or two ago and decided it might be easier to have a "pay monthly" plan to save the hassle of topping-up

- applied for the Pay monthly plan through my account on three.co.uk and that was approved a few days ago, using number A.

- after a day or two I realised that despite the generous "roaming" options while away, I could not send a text to an international number from the UK.  Going through the details, clear that the plan will not work for my needs, hence I cancelled it.  I am well within the returns period, and this is now marked as being under cancellation on my account.

- during the discussions I asked could my number (A) just go back to being PAYG again like it had been 10 days before.  No .. they said ... to do that I need to order a *new* PAYG sim and transfer the number over (*sigh*).   I would need the PAC code.  Requested that and it was sent to me. 

- Ordered a new PAYG sim from 3, and it arrived swiftly to my flat, call it number B.  Activated now.

- Went to three.co.uk.  There is a switching form there to transfer my number ... it asks for lots of details including the PAC code ... however it is not happy with a PAC code from 3 itself and I can't submit it.

- Went onto "chat" and had some conversations with the Team in the hope that they can do the change behind the scenes ... no they can't.  They tell me the only way to keep my old number A will be to apply for a(nother) SIM from a different provider and transfer it across to the other company.

So there we are.

Could someone from 3 give us some help.

I can't manage without a number much longer so most likely I will need to move to giffgaff or Virgin

--mary