cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three have randomly removed my free roaming in go-roam destinations with no notification or warning

dingdong808
Fledgling

Like thousands of other three customers I renewed my contract in September 2021 before the deadline to ensure I retained the free roaming in go-roam destinations.

For 24 months I continued to receive free go-roaming... and this then continued on as a rolling contract... so I've had 33 months of free roaming.

This past month I suddenly received £45 in roaming charges.

Complaints to the billing team have got me nowhere.   They simply say that Go-Roam was removed from my account in March (with no notification or warning).   I've since submitted a written complaint and they are now saying my contract started on 17th october 2021 and didn't have free roaming..... despite the fact I've had 33 months of free roaming and the online chat at the time of creating my contract confirmed I'd have the free roaming benefit.  I even gave them an example of a previous bill that had free roaming and they are claiming the bill had daily roaming fees when it clearly shows zero!

Has anyone else experienced this recent change.   I'm getting nowhere trying to get it resolved?    

17 REPLIES 17

I've made a Request for Access of my personal information as the same has happened to me. I've had years of free roaming and was I the middle of a 2 week trip last month when it suddenly stopped, when I complained the operative says I renewed October 17th 2021, lo and behold this date now shows on my profile. I may have changed my tariff back then I really can't recall, but I would have checked with the Live Chat if this affected roaming beforehand as it's the only reason I'm with Three and I know they're trying to move people off these contracts. Strange that we all seem to have suddenly renewed just after the cut off date...

martinski99
Regular

I'm thinking that although you/we think we upgraded in September 2021 they didn't apply it until the end of our billing cycle, which would likely be some time in October. Clearly they didn't tell you this at the time, and also lied about it affecting roaming. I have an SMS from Three in September 2021 saying I've been 'handpicked' for a free upgrade which is what prompted me to do so. What I think they mean by handpicked is that they wanted me off a pre-October contract so delayed the upgrade until after the cut-off date. 

Still doesn't explain why I've had over 3 years of roaming and then it suddenly stops with no comms whatsoever. 

Trueneutral
Regular

I think so far nobody has suceeded in getting the free roaming back. If there are any success stories do share.

Ap1
Fledgling

Yes have just experienced the same issue. The inclusive allowances section of my bill still show that roaming in Europe is unlimited calls and texts, and 3000 minutes/5000 texts for other Go Roam destinations, but I have just been charged roaming charges for a recent trip. Call to billing got nowhere - anyone had a response from the ombudsman?

SpongeBob
Fledgling

I think that those who have been affected, me included, are the ones who upgraded before 1/10/2021, but whose contract started after 1/10/2021. Regardless, their website clearly states that charges apply only to “For Pay Monthly customers who joined or upgraded on or after 1 October 2021, there’s a daily roaming charge to unlock your UK allowances for 24 hours in Go Roam destinations”. Join and upgrade is not the same as contract start date, so I fail to see why Three has failed to keep its contractual obligations.

dingdong808
Fledgling

The annoying is my flatmate renewed before 1/10/2021  (at the same time as me)... has a billing/contract start date at the end of October (so later than me)... and is still receiving free roaming abroad with no changes.

It therefore does look completely random which customers they have removed this benefit from.

Trueneutral
Regular

So I have the decision from the ombudsman - they are not able to reinstate go roam, and reasoned that Three are within their right to change their terms anytime as it is a "commercial decision". As I am out of contract, I am free to go to another network - the ombudsman mentioned if this change happened while I am still under the fixed term, the best he could do is to compel me let me go without exit fees. Nevertheless, I was offered £100 for my trouble as a "goodwill gesture".

In a nutshell, I guess the go-roam party is now over - us stragglers are unwelcome and are slowly shown the door.

Thanks for sharing your update.