cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three overcharging

MattyLeeT18
Fledgling

Hello, I’ve being paying 28 pound for a plan what’s now 25 pound, I am out of contract however still paying in contract prices, I can’t edit my plan to cheaper as three claim my credit ratings not good enough to switch to a new airtime or even device plan, which means I’m stuck paying for contract prices when out of contract, why does 3 not discount plans once your out of contract many networks now do this. Pay as you go is not a choice for me as due to my needs I need a constant connection to my phone and payg would pose a barrier.

6 REPLIES 6
Geluk
Key player

No good asking here; you need to contact 3 customer service on 333, or via CHAT.

sc1999
Local celebrity

3 now do that. New contracts are split in 2; airtime and phone cost. If you upgrade and include a new phone then a credit check is made. This is done as 3 are giving you an interest free loan. Your gripe about continuing paying for a phone you have already bought is something the government is aware of but will probably do sod all about.

You could try for a sim only deal with another provider and continue to use you existing phone. It may be easier to do this as airtime is paid for in advance so no loan is involved. Smarty are 3's cheap sub-brand if you still want the 3 network, plus you get free roaming.

PS. Lobby your MP.

garetc
Involved

That doesn't sound right, they shouldn't have to re-check you to move over to a cheaper SIM only contract. They'd only re-check you if you take out another handset loan, @JonathanB can you confirm? Might be worth speaking to Customer Service again and see what they say.

If you don't get a favourable answer you could look at Talkmobile, they do an ID check but not a credit check. It's owned and run on Vodafone, it's 'no frills' but you get 5G and wifi calling, so if Voda' signal is OK in your area then you're on to a winner.

(They offer unlimited data for £16 on a rolling 30-day contract so a saving on what you're currently paying).

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @garetc,

Currently, we aren't pre-approving upgrades. Credit and affordability checks do apply to any upgrades whether these involve a device loan or SIM only plan.

We have previously allowed upgrades to SIM plans for existing customers without credit checks. Sorry if the change has caused any confusion.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

garetc
Involved

Thanks for the reply @JonathanB 

To be clear, if a customer who has an existing credit relationship with Three on an old style contract where there's a single charge for their phone and handset will be credit checked if they want to re-graded to a cheaper SIM only deal once their minimum term is done?

Likewise using my consumer account as an example, it has a SIM only on it that is now within it's last 30 days. if I want to call up and negotiate for a cheaper / retention deal I will now be re-checked if I go ahead? 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @garetc,

I've double checked and the processes we have for upgrading to Three Your Way plans state that we can't give pre-approvals so credit and affordability checks are mandatory.

I get where you're coming from though, and it does seem to be a change to how we used to do this, so I'll certainly check if there's any exceptions regarding SIM only/Airtime only plans.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.