cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is roaming such a rip off now?

M2024
Fledgling

It was only a few years ago international roaming (including USA) was fully included in the monthly price. That was great. Now you need to pay extortionate amounts to use a restricted version of your plan when abroad. For 2 weeks away that's £60 and unlimited data turns into 12gb per 30 days. But you can pay an extra £5 a day for unlimited data. So about £120 to use your phone when abroad. Utterly disgraceful. 

Talking to three about it is like talking to a terrible robot. Asking for an explanation as to why they continually put prices up every year but don't do anything to improve the service and actively make it worse by implementing the above, the reaponse I get it "roaming data is limited to 12gb as per the policy"

Yeah thanks I know, that's why I'm complaining. Used to love 3 but now they seem to just want to rip people off at every opportunity.

7 REPLIES 7
M2024
Fledgling

I'm not even able to make use of a data esim because as soon as my SIM touches the network abroad I get charged £5 a day so it's either pay a shed load of money or pay a bit less and not be able to use my phone. 

tarantella
Rising star

The one positive left is that incoming calls remain free.

MZone
Maestro

It’s all to do with making profit and without that there would be no money for investment in making the network better. 

M2024
Fledgling

But are they even doing that ? They used to be able to provide unlimited data in the US. What changed ?

KateS
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @M2024,

We've always operated Fair Usage policies on roaming as a company.

The alternative option to use unlimited data would be to purchase a daily Data Passport as this isn't limited to 12GB. You can purchase this by logging into the your account on the My3 app or online.

Thanks,
Kate

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

M2024
Fledgling

When I've been to the US previously with an unlimited data plan I was free to use as much data as I needed. Now I need to pay a huge amount for a reduced allowance. There's no reason to now be charging people for something you used to include in the monthly price

M2024
Fledgling

A daily passport is another £5 a day! So £60 to unlock roaming then another £60 on top of that. Daylight robbery