cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Broadband dropouts

MacDavidson
Fledgling

Hi folks,

So I got Three’s 5G broadband and get great speeds, with great coverage around the house. But at various times each day (for no apparent reason), it just disappears from being available as a wifi device for around 10 minutes, or until reset. The Mac connected by CAT7 cable is unaffected, and all lights remain as they should.

I’ve positioned the router in various places, tried changing the APN from 3internet to three.co.uk, and reset several times. 

Am I doing something wrong? Should I have 2.4 and 5 GHz on at the same time? 2.4 GHz is slower, but I need that for the smart gadgets in the house, but speed is what it’s all about…

I really could do with some advice, before I take more than 2 paracetamol over this crisis…

Thanks in advance for your time

228 REPLIES 228
TC64
Active

Hello MacDavidson,

It's nothing you have done. I am having the same problem. I think it's due to recent router firmware update to version ending B12. Mine updated 19 October and had the intermittent problem since then. Around 2 to 5 times a day the router stops receiving download data ,but continues to send upload data, so effectively loses the internet for around 10 minutes unless you restart it sooner. 

My wired devices and WiFi lose the internet.

My past experience tells me their is not much point talking to tech support, like banging your head against the wall in frustration, but forums like this eventually show them what's happening and things get fixed.

I found the three.co.uk apn had less issues in this problem. Support will blame mast maintenance until they have more information.

Don't stress over this issue.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @MacDavidson@TC64,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I'm keen to help with this, and I appreciate it can be really frustrating to deal with seemingly random disruption to the service.

Are you able to both confirm which of the 5G router models you have with us? 

If you have Three phones or unlocked ones can you confirm the issue is only with your Broadband services? A good test would be swapping the two SIMs i.e Broadband SIM into a phone, and phone SIM into the router. This will help narrow down where the issue is originating from.

The best first step here is isolating whether the issue seems to be network, device, or SIM, then I'll have a better idea of how and who to investigate this with.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

TC64
Active

Thank you. I called support today. They should be investigating hopefully.

My router is standard three supplied ZTE mc801a on 5g broadband. My mobile is on the three 5g coverage with id mobile and works when the router stops. I have done a factory reset and set up again. But still loses internet randomly around 5 times a day for around 10 minutes then starts working again. Router firmware upgraded on the 19 October and noticed the issue from the 20 October and still doing it. Last issue was 45 minutes ago at 10.50 am.

Not practical to swap Sims sorry due to random time it takes to occur.

Thank you.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TC64,

Great let me know what you hear back from the Tech Team, hopefully they can solve this, and if not narrow down the cause more.

Thanks for confirming you've tested your mobile on Three 5G signal too, I'll pass on feedback around the firmware angle to see if that can be investigated further.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Dazzar
Established

@JonathanB 

I am having the same issue but on top of that it will run at a good speed and literally slow down to nothing in front of me and freeze , I also have the ZTE and have completed all the same steps , it’s not a mast issue as the checker states so. 

TC64
Active

Hello Jonathan,

I see more users are reporting the same issue, which is what I was hoping. Intermittent issues are the trickiest to fix. Not heard anything back yet from three support and the issue is still occuring. I'm just happy it automatically reconnects after around 10 minutes. Annoying in the middle of streaming, but not greatly disruptive. As mentioned before, all signal LEDs and interface show full signal, but no download data, only upload is being transmitted.

stevekn
Involved

over a year now, any sign of a fix to a "known" problem ( although not to customer non-support still)

WhimsyWidget
Active

Hi Jonathan,

I'm also having the same problem, having only last month signed up for a contract. Could I please be contacted in regards to this matter?

Thanks.

henryshelley
Regular

Hi Jonathan - I have recently signed up to Three 5G Home Broadband and am using the supplied ZTE MC801A router. Unfortunately, after a few days I started experiencing the same issues that many other customers here are having. That is to say 2-3 dropouts every single day, that are only rectifiable by resetting the router.

After several calls to three, I finally managed to get a replacement router, but am immediately having exactly the same issues. Is there any update that three can give on when this software issue will be fixed please?