cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Coverage in my Area, but not allowed 5G broadband

takuhii
Fledgling

Hi,
Thinking of moving to three as my broadband provider, but I am a little confused... So I can get Three 5G in my area, but when I check coverage for 5G Broadband I get

We can't offer Home Broadband at your address right now, but we're busy expanding our network to connect more homes.

Is there a difference between 5G Mobile and 5G Broadband?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Darren

5 REPLIES 5
sc1999
Local celebrity

Voice requires less bandwidth than data. Far more people can use 5g on their phones than can use broadband. It would only become a capacity issue if too many people tethered their phones and spent the night using buckets of data. 

5g towers also require more power than 4g so the capacity and range are less so more towers are required. 

I expect they will monitor system capacity and if usage is low enough they may allow home broadband. 

The thing to do is register your interest in 5g broadband and get your neighbours to do the same so it might speed up 3's installation of more capacity. The last thing 3 wants are people complaining of low 5g speeds. 

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

It's the same as it would be for your mobile phone. If you can't get 5G signal via your phone from your property then you won't be able to get 5G for the router. Therefore you will be connected using 4G until it becomes available in your area.

The router has a slot for a nano size phone SIM.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey Darren,

We do some additional checks on the Home Broadband shop pages. As well as coverage, the system checks out additional network traffic factors, such as the number of existing customers in the area, any ongoing mast upgrades, and if we're seeing any signs of congestion or the network being at capacity.

If you're seeing this message in an area that has live 5G signal, it likely means we currently have as many broadband users as we can confidently support in the area, or we may still be benchmarking the 5G masts to ensure they can support the expected demand. The best advice we can give is to check back periodically, we're investing heavily in expanding 5G coverage and capacity so hopefully we'll be able to offer Home Broadband to you locally soon.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

bulldog555
Involved

@JonathanB

The coverage map should be updating eg:

5G - Yes is available (mobile only as broadband is not available)

5G - Yes is live (mobile & broadband are available)

to avoid confusion.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bulldog555,

That's a great suggestion. I'll pass this on.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.