cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great download, very poor upload - loss of Internet connectivity

davidg_croydon
Regular

Just received my 3 NR5103E 5G Hub and set it all up today. Absolutely gobsmacked at the download speed (all tests using Ookla Speedtest on my iPhone 13 in the same room as the 5G Hub). I'm getting between 280-300 Mbit/s in the afternoon, and 180 Mbit/s now in the evening, but the upload speed is very poor, it was 0.78 Mbit/s earlier, and now it is saying 0 and all the devices are saying 'No Internet Connection'.

I'm in CR0, and the network checker says that there is ongoing work in my area. Could it be this? Will it be like this every evening?

Is there anything I can change/check on my 5G Hub?

6 REPLIES 6
sc1999
Local celebrity

Our dear friend the network status checker can have some latency in updating. If you read through some of the posts repairs and upgrades can take days, weeks, or, according to some, months. Call 33 and see if they have more info.

I have been with 3 for a year and my 4g upload has never exceeded 5 meg. I have just tested and this is what I get:

Three 21.3 down 3.05 up, Vodafone 21.4 & 14.4, BT (FTTP) 150 and 30 which is why I stay with BT.

crypt0ninja
Established

Hi @davidg_croydon,

Could quite possibly be related to some ongoing issues in your area if that's what appears on the checker although there's a few things we can check and try out.

Can you post a screenshot of the Cellular Stats page via the NR5103E admin portal?

Would like to have a peek at your connection stats and check out the cell you are connected to using CellMapper in order to see what bands are being broadcasted in your area etc.

You may be able to test out some band locking combinations via the admin portal once we know what bands are available in your area (you can just go for it and try various combinations if you want, Three mainly use B1, B3, B20, B28, B32 and N78 at the moment but not all masts broadcast all of these bands, its differs by area and ongoing rollout work).

Many including myself have had great success with band locking to increase speeds, especially upload speeds.

In my case my router was auto connecting to B1+B3+N78+N78 which had great download speeds but upload speeds were not good (sub 10mbps), and like yourself, would take a big hit during peak times.

After a load of testing with band locking combinations I ended up with a B28+B3+N78 combo which gives me slightly slower download speeds than before but a much better and stronger signal, lower and more stable ping, and upload speeds now 40-55mbps consistently.

Cheers

davidg_croydon
Regular

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I didn't get an e-mail saying that there had been a reply, so apologies for the delay. I rang 3 about the disparity in Download and Uploads speed, and they just said that it's a known issue, they're working on it, and can't give dates.. 😞

MY upload speeds have gone up since I posted here, I'm now getting between 2-5 MBit during the day, and around 1 Mbit in the evening. (this is via a Ethernet direct into the Hub).

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 17.30.35.png
My Post code is CR0 ***. I was told by 2nd line that my nearest tower was 500m North-east of me. My Hub is already on a window ledge facing East.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @davidg_croydon,

You should receive email notifications once you've verified your email address with the community. Check your emails from when you registered, and it may be worth checking spam/junk too.

I've had to reject the image too, it's best not to share your ICCID. If you mask that along with the other info you'd already blocked out, we should be able to approve it.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

davidg_croydon
Regular

Thanks JonathanBScreenshot 2023-03-14 at 17.30.35.png
Reposting amended image.

Three5G
Fledgling

Same thing is happening to me in SW15.