cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Home Broadband - Zyxel NR5103E 5G Hub - problems with connection to Discord and Steam

lk27
Fledgling

Hi there,

Appreciate any help anyone can send my way as I've spent the better part of a week scouring 3's support pages, attempting to get tech support from 3, and looking elsewhere for help to no avail.

I moved recently and have set up a 5G Home Broadband contract and use a Zyxel NR5103E 5G Hub. I have 2 devices connected, my phone via wifi, and my desktop PC via ethernet. I'm not a particularly tech-y person so I'll do my best to describe this and would appreciate if anyone replies that they keep this in mind.

I use my desktop mainly for gaming and watching stuff on youtube, netflix and the like.

For streaming, I've not had any problems. But with gaming the 5g broadband is essentially not functional.

I communicate with friends on Discord and play games on Steam or via Blizzard's Battle.net launcher.

On Discord I can communicate via text just fine. But I cannot connect in voice servers.

On Steam and other platforms, I don't know how to say this in a tech-appropriate way but the platform can clearly see that I am connected (I can browse the store live, see live video content, etc) but I cannot either download games I already own but haven't installed, or connect to live servers on online games.

Solutions I've tried: Removing the adult content filter, changing my DNS settings to a public DNS server for both iPv4 and 6, restarting, reinstalling stuff. Nothing has worked and I'm pretty fed up.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to any help, Luke.

Best solution
Best solution
lk27
Fledgling

Thanks for the above replies. After posting the message I spent about an hour on the phone with Three, speaking to various different people.

The issue is now resolved, but as far as I can tell all they did (after asking me to reset the router) was update the firmware to V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 from V1.00(ACBJ.0)b12

For reference @Anvil_Iron I had excellent signal strength, and had no other issues, could download large files, stream, etc. I could not install anything on Steam (it had "No Connection" on the bottom of the interface, despite the store working perfectly fine as if I was connected).

Thanks for the suggestions @SP70 , I would have tried those if this hadn't been fixed already.

View solution in conversation

5 REPLIES 5
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

I'm assuming the router signal strength is good/excellent and it's connecting at 5G without any problems? (you can see this via the Three 5G Broadband app for mobile). What are the router icons telling you on top?

Can you download large files to your PC such as a Netflix film via the Netflix app?

Do you get an error message when trying to install a game from Steam?

SP70
Active

Don't know if this will resolve your issue. Disable IPv6

Menu Icon (Top Right) > Network Setting > Broadband > Broadband (Tab) > Modify Cellular WAN 1 > Change IPv4/IPv6 Mode from IPv4 IPv6 DualStack to IPv4 Only

SP70
Active

Also try changing to a different APN.

Set profile name to Three / set apn to three.co.uk / user name and password leave blank / Authentication should read NONE/ If you get PDP option make sure it is on IPV4 / Everything else should be blank.

Best solution
lk27
Fledgling

Thanks for the above replies. After posting the message I spent about an hour on the phone with Three, speaking to various different people.

The issue is now resolved, but as far as I can tell all they did (after asking me to reset the router) was update the firmware to V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 from V1.00(ACBJ.0)b12

For reference @Anvil_Iron I had excellent signal strength, and had no other issues, could download large files, stream, etc. I could not install anything on Steam (it had "No Connection" on the bottom of the interface, despite the store working perfectly fine as if I was connected).

Thanks for the suggestions @SP70 , I would have tried those if this hadn't been fixed already.

Mr_RSVR
Fledgling

I'm having issues with my router - I have the same as you, the NR5103E 5G Hub. (Got it today) 

On my phone it is fine. However, when I connect to my xbox it doesn't offer me a decent connection. Loading time into games has increased, my ping has trippled to 90 and I spend ages on loading screens.

Connection Virgin provided me:

5GHz

IPv4

NAT Type: Open

All services are available

Whereas 3 provides:

Current network status
2.4GHz
IPv4
NAT Type: Moderate
UPnP not successful
xbox.com/xboxone/UPnP
All services are available

Can anyone advice how to improve my connection for gaming? If this doesn't improve by the end of tomorrow I'll be cancelling my contract. 

My firmware is version: V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14