cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G broadband speeds plummeted

talktohardwick
Active

For 4 months after getting Three 5G home broadband I was consistently getting 500mb+ download and 50mb+ upload. 

For the last few weeks I have been consistently getting 30-50mb download and 5-6mb upload. Is this going to continue? It's not worth the money if it's going to be so slow in future and I can get a better broadband solution.

14 REPLIES 14
Threlly
Involved

I've had the same message on the network checker for nearly 9 months.
So it's not fault, it's not about upgrading the physical infrastructure, it's about squeezing as much profit as possible out of poorly invested systems before the merger, then the issue can be passed on down the road.
The new company will make excuses along the lines "we're new", "bedding in", "takes time to re-organise" etc etc.
we'll keep paying, it will keep getting worse, they'll re-structure customer services again to save costs with little thought to customers.
Profit is king.
We are the peasants.

talktohardwick
Active

The problem is my iPhone 14 Pro which is also on Three 5G gets 250mbps+ and I'm sure it connects to the same tower as my broadband router so I'm still thinking it's a settings thing.

ryancook
Fledgling

I'm suffering from the same thing.

did you manage to find a solution?

AX
Active

Same problem for me. Joined Three home broadband in February 2022 and it was consistently getting 300Mbps down and 30+Mbps Up. That was until early May 2023, since then its been abysmal. especially the download speeds (currently showing 0.08Mbps). Multiple calls to Three support have gone nowhere and now I'm just waiting for the contract to expire so I can leave for a hopefully better provider.

tigan
Regular

I've had similar, been with Three for a year (of 24months), was really happy getting up to 400-500 down, then all of a sudden lucky to get 70 down. Seems to be a very common problem.

It says connected to 5G, but the speeds are pretty much the same when set to 4g.

CA Status on modem is : No CA.  - multiple connections on "ookla speed test" is the same as single connection (it use to be 400+ on multi and about 80 on single (now it makes no difference)

No one seems to know anything about CA (carrier aggregation), not even their tech guys.

Also went through the "tech guy" thing, doing tests on everything possible, but no faults found.

Ill be ending contract once it runs out, hopefully fibre will be available by then.