cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G streaming issues ZTE MC801A Hub

Capital_Kop
Fledgling

I have recently purchased Three Business 5G and have been provided with a ZTE MC801A 5G hub.  The issue I have is that although my devices (Panasonic Smart TV, Apple TV & Amazon Fire Stick) will connect to the router, none on them will allow me to watch/stream content.  All return a connection error which suggests that the internet connection has dropped or can not be found.  Each time, I go into the setting I have to reconnect the device. 

I called support and they suggested that it could be to do with an content filter on my account, but, I am trying to Disney+ and that does not work.  If I connect my iPhone, instead of the router, all work perfectly.  

Any suggestion please?

As for speeds, I have getting anywhere between 150-400 mb.

7 REPLIES 7
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

What happens if your iPhone is connected via Wi-fi to the router and then start streaming?

Download the Three 5G Broadband app on to your iPhone. You will need to connect via Wi-Fi and create an account. What signal strength are you getting and are you able to see all your devices connected? The app shows signal strength in real-time so it can be used to get the best location for the router. Can you provide a screenshot of the signal strength screen?

Capital_Kop
Fledgling

Thank you Anvil Iron.  Sadly the Three 5G broadband app does not appear to be compatible with the ZTE router, therefore, I downloaded the ZTE app.  All off my devices are showing in the app as being as connected to the router.  When I try to use my iPhone as a hot spot, it drops the WiFi connection and uses my phone's 5G.    When my iPhone is connected to the Three 5G wifi, I can stream the BBC Iplayer and Disney plus to my TV using an Apple TV box.  

I am getting speed of between 150mbs and 250mbs

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

That's a shame you can't use the 5G broadband app. Does the ZTE app indicate a good signal strength?

It would be normal for your phone to turn Wi-Fi off when you enable mobile hotspot as the purpose of using hotspot is to make your phone's mobile data available.

Does the app show which devices are connected using 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi bands? My smart TV of 4 years old can only connects at 2.4GHz but my phone connects at 5GHz. Is the router configured for both frequencies? 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Capital_Kop,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been running into problems with connecting your streaming devices/services. 

We've seen a few instances of similar issues on the 5G Home Broadband ZTEs since a recent firmware update ending B15 so it sounds like this same issue is affecting your Business Broadband connection.

I'd suggest contacting Business Care again, and explain that this seems to be related to the B15 software update, and ask them can raise this with the 2nd line technical team to try rolling you back to the previous software.

There's another fix listed on PlayStation network won’t sign in on hub however, this will change your settings to values that are optimised for phones rather than routers, so it may still not be ideal for all your devices. If you do decide to test these it may help as a quick fix, and to establish if it's the same issue though.

Let me know how you get on, and if there's any further issues getting this escalated with the Business teams.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Just to add to this, if you want to try the workaround. @Lairddoogle gave a really good explanation in the thread: Total loss of any connection for Google home devices, Alexa ans Google TV.... 

They provide step by step instructions on how to amend the settings in one of their replies.

Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Nyotengu
Regular

I am having the same issue with streaming services and my console! APK changes made no difference. Everything was working perfectly before this update! And as usual, chat support is completely useless! I need help please.

PegasusTenma
Fledgling

Hi Jonathan, I have the exact same issue with PlayStation Network starting today. I have a ZTE MC801A on the B15 update. I do not know when the update happened (is it possible to know?)

The API change solution did NOT work for me. Is there an update coming to fix this? Or am I screwed. My router is a personal one that was given to me second handed but is using a Three line of course and is originally a Three router.