cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G suddenly switched to CGNAT??

lordmerchant
Regular

In the past few days my reverse proxied websites have all gone down.

I use a ddns client to sync my ip with registrarr, I then reverse proxy connections to my internal services. These have worked faultlessly for months on Three 5g. I have made no config changes.

My dynamic ip is still syncing/updating with my registrarr. My reverse proxy manager (Caddy2) is not receiving any inbound connection requests. If i ping my WAN ip it time out.

I have done a router reset, disabled firewall etc to see if an update there has caused errors - all to no avail.

I have checked that I am still on the 3internet APN

any further suggestions or have three now enacted CGNAT?

luckily my cloudflare tunnels still work, but I have lost thge ability to self host other services and access to my wireguard VPN.

• 5G
7 REPLIES 7
FadedHazard
Regular

I also rang them to sort out port forwarding they made changes and locked my download to 120mbs

They also did this in the past to one of my old routers 

dave_triclone
Fledgling

Are you still getting CGNAT? Mines switched as well and broken my VPN to the office

lordmerchant
Regular

nteresting, thanks for the input. This is causing significant issues as I specifiaclly chose them for their port-forwarding capabilities.

andyvee
Active

What public IP have you got - is it in the range 100.x.x.x by any chance?

andyvee
Active

Actually, its 100.64.x.x/10 that is reserved for CGNAT. If you use IPChicken or WhatsMyIP and have an address in that range then yes, it is CGNAT and all kinds of things will break. You will probably find the address keeps changing as well.

If you manually edit the APN to IPv4 only then you get a public IP address with NAT. It only seems to use CGNAT if you have IPv4 and IPv6 enabled on the APN and WAN interface.

sebyte
Fledgling

I happen to know, thanks to a knowledgeable and trusted source, that approx. three weeks ago Three outsourced their entire networking operation to Nokia.  All kinds of problems are (still) occurring as a result.  (I'm suffering from abysmal upload and download speeds, regular periodic routing outages, hopelessly short timeouts forcing me to reauthenticate over and over again).  Three/Nokia better get their act together soon or I'm off.

tobycourtis
Fledgling

I had this exact issue and couldn't get any info from Three support on it.

This solved my issue: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/has-3internet-apn-on-three-switched-to-cgnat.41334/post-347....

So: 

1) contact Three support

2) Tell them something changed and you believe it's IPV being set to 6 (which they're automatically enabling on all accounts currently).

3) Support will disable IPv6 on your account and leave a note on your account explaining the issue so if you ever contact support again they can resolve immediately