cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g hub ZTE mc888 won’t allow WiFi calling

Rural
Regular

We have recently switched to Three. We switched from the standard broadband to the 5g hub because we are very rural and our highest speed on the line was 5mb. With the hub we are getting the fastest broadband we’ve ever had. But here’s the problem: it won’t allow us to use WiFi calling. We rely on WiFi calling because signal in the house is awful (old house and very thick walls). WiFi calling worked for us before but won’t with this hub. Can anyone help us with this?

71 REPLIES 71
Hagadol
Regular

Using my iPhone O2: On all other Wifi networks, if I try to force Wifi Calling, by turning on Airplane Mode within less than 10 seconds it switches to WiFi Calling.  With my Three 5G Hub it has occasionally turned on in the last week, estimated about 20% of the time, whereby before the last week it never did.

T_55
Fledgling

Hi all, (just like everyone else) here to ask if this issue has been resolved? We bought the 5g broadband hub MC888 yesterday and today we cannot seem to make or receive any calls over the WiFi. It’s really weird as when we try to call, our phones show no service. This sometimes affects our data as well and we can’t seem to make any or receive any calls over data. Our sims are Three and all our phones are either iPhone 12, 13, 11 and Samsung A53 and A12. Not sure what’s going on, have tried the airplane mode thing too and still no luck. Shows up as call failed. However, wifi calling does seem to work slightly if I do it through WhatsApp - doesn’t work all the time, just by chance.

Soma
Fledgling

I was wondering if there had been any progress in rectifying the WiFi calling issues with the ZTE MC888 hub as I have just started with Three Home Broadband and am having the same problem.  I have a very poor/non-existent mobile signal in my house so WiFi calling is a necessity.

I am using an iPhone SE (15.8.2) with a 1p Mobile (EE) SIM.  My phone indicates EE WiFiCall, but if I try and call a number nothing happens and I cannot receive calls.  If I select Airplane Mode it sometimes shows a warning stating "No Network Connection.  Connect to a Wi-Fi network or disable Airplane Mode to make a call", although I can access the internet, email, etc.  This warning is not always displayed.

If I connect to my Vodaphone broadband WiFi it works perfectly.

If it is not rectified within the next couple of weeks, I will need to cancel my contract under the 30 day guarantee, as, as I previously mentioned, WiFi calling is a necessity.

GE-NO-WIFI
Fledgling

I have the same issue. I am trying 5g home broadband with the Zte hub. No Wi-Fi calling or texts (poor signal area - but good for three). Still have my BT broadband running and that connects my iPhone to Wi-Fi calling, but the minute I switch to the three hub the Wi-Fi calling stops. Need an answer asap or the three hub will be going back. 

Soma
Fledgling

I contacted Three via their chat today and was in contact with a member of their technical team who gave their name as Pushpa.  They asked me to reset the modem (there is a small switch beneath the rubber cover on the base of the modem that you need to push in with a paper clip for ~10 seconds) and also to switch my iPhone off and then back on again, as they said they had "refresh the setting from my end".  I must admit I was very sceptical, having done both several times already, and did not expect it to work.  But, lo and behold, for the past 2 hours, I have functioning WiFi calling with an EE (1p Mobile) SIM in an iPhone SE running iOS 15.8.2.

Pushpa, if you read this, thank you for sorting this out for me and I apologise for my scepticism.

Perhaps one of the Forum's moderators can determine what the "refresh the setting from my end" involves and see if this can be implemented as standard.

tsvetanpelovski
Fledgling

Hello everyone, until now I was just observing the topic while planning to cancel my contract with Three soon. I saw this comment and decided to give it a try. Previously, I couldn't connect to some websites, for example, the LG App Store on my TV, unless set to use 4G only, and Wi-Fi calling wouldn't work regardless, but after about an hour of chatting with customer support and then with the technical team, my router started working as it's supposed to.

Advice to everyone - no matter what they tell you, when you get connected to the technical team, insist that they reset the router settings from their end. They told me that the reason for all my issues might be the signal, which can't be true because there is a 5G tower is right outside my flat and I get speeds of 650 Mbps download, 125 Mbps upload, and 34 ms ping. But after they did the reset, everything was fixed!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @Soma and @tsvetanpelovski for confirming the team were able to sort this issue out for you. I'll do some digging and see if I can find out what's happened behind the scenes there, so we can make sure this is fixed for everyone.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Hagadol
Regular

I did a reset of the hub.  Changed nothing regarding Wifi Calling, though the reset did seem to increase speed. My iPhone with O2 Sim almost never connects to Wifi Calling, with this Three hub, though does usually immediately on other Wifi Networks.  It has been months now and it does not fill me with confidence that this has not being sorted out by O2.  

tsvetanpelovski
Fledgling

You need to get in touch with their technical team and ask them to reset all the settings from their end, then restart your phone and router that's how I fixed mine.

Soma
Fledgling

As tsvetanpelovski states, you need to get in touch with their technical support (I did this through their Chat messaging) and ask them to reset the settings at their end.  After they had done this I reset the modem and switched my iPhone off and then back on again.  This has worked for both of us with regards to Wi-Fi calling.