cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g hub ZTE mc888 won’t allow WiFi calling

Rural
Regular

We have recently switched to Three. We switched from the standard broadband to the 5g hub because we are very rural and our highest speed on the line was 5mb. With the hub we are getting the fastest broadband we’ve ever had. But here’s the problem: it won’t allow us to use WiFi calling. We rely on WiFi calling because signal in the house is awful (old house and very thick walls). WiFi calling worked for us before but won’t with this hub. Can anyone help us with this?

37 REPLIES 37
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rural,

That's really odd, Wi-Fi calling generally kicks in automatically when it's switched on in the phone settings. Are you trying to use Wi-Fi calling on a Three number, or with a phone from a different provider?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Rural
Regular

The phone is with EE. But it worked fine yesterday when I was still using my old internet provider (Vodafone).

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for confirming this @Rural, I'm not sure at this stage whether this needs to be investigated as a Three Broadband issue, or from EE, or perhaps a phone issue. Hopefully we can narrow it down and figure out the best angle to investigate.

Are you able to test whether Wi-Fi calling works from other providers, perhaps with a friend or family member's phone? Are we talking about multiple EE lines or one specific phone? What model(s) of phone is this happening with?

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Rural
Regular

Just spoken to someone from three and they’ve said it’s to do with the 5g network not launching the WiFi calling yet. It seems it can only be done with 4g 

LeeGlover
Fledgling

I've been using the NR5103E on b15 firmware for a few months and love getting 900mb for £15 per month. I'm on 3 for my S22 Ultra and my wife is on EE with her S22. I get WiFi calling at all times but the Mrs has no signal with EE yet WiFi calling doesn't kick in at all. When I hotspot my phone, WiFi calling kicks in and she says it works on other WiFi networks too. Further to this, my work iPhone on Vodafone works ok with WiFi calling too

Sometimes the connection drops on some devices as well with some showing connected without internet while other devices work ok. Someone's it does entirely even though there's no signal problem as verified by my phone when I turn WiFi off

We've just done a factory reset on the Mrs' phone with the latest firmware installed but the problem persists. Can anyone recommend anything or is it likely the router is faulty? 

Many thanks

neil_b
Fledgling

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with my 5g router.

All the phones in the house are on ee and WiFi calling does not work on my home WiFi but works fine on other WiFi. 

Very frustrating. If you figure it out then let me know. 

Rural
Regular

Are you on a 4g or 5g hub? We’ve been told by three that the 5g network isn’t running WiFi calling yet. So it only works on 4g. Not sure how accurate this is? 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rural,

The NR5103E that Lee mentions is a 5G router too.

I'll take a closer look into this 5G not supporting Wi-Fi calling angle, as I'm not sure that's quite correct. The 5G network doesn't support voice calling on phones at the moment, I think that will be what will have been meant if a staff member has told you this, but I don't think that has any bearing on Wi-Fi calling.

I'll double check with my contacts, clear that point up, and let you know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Rural
Regular

My daughter’s phone also won’t connect and she is on Vodafone. We all have iPhones. If this helps?