cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g hub ZTE mc888 won’t allow WiFi calling

Rural
Regular

We have recently switched to Three. We switched from the standard broadband to the 5g hub because we are very rural and our highest speed on the line was 5mb. With the hub we are getting the fastest broadband we’ve ever had. But here’s the problem: it won’t allow us to use WiFi calling. We rely on WiFi calling because signal in the house is awful (old house and very thick walls). WiFi calling worked for us before but won’t with this hub. Can anyone help us with this?

45 REPLIES 45
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @Rural,

Yes that's great insight. I was assuming this may be EE specific. Has your daughter been able to connect to Wi-Fi calling when using a different Wi-Fi network since the issue started?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Rural
Regular

Yes she was able to connect to the previous hub

Rural
Regular

We also have eero 6 to extend the WiFi around the house

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @LeeGlover@neil_b,

I've noticed your older thread seems to be similar circumstances of EE Wi-Fi calling not working with Three Broadband, so I've merged these conversations. Are you both still experiencing this issue?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rural,

Thanks for your patience. I've checked in with some contacts in our Tech teams regarding this, and confirmed it's an issue which is under investigation.

As I mentioned before, 5G phones make calls over 4G, but that has no bearing on Wi-Fi calling, so I apologise for any confusion there.

We do expect the MC888 to support Wi-Fi calling, and some colleagues are trying to locate the root cause, and fix this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Rural
Regular

Is there a timescale on this? We are half way through a 30 day free trial with this hub and can’t continue with it if WiFi calling is not an option.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rural,

I'm sorry, we've identified that there is an issue, and there's a team performing tests to try to track down where this is failing. There's no fix date yet, but I'm passing the info from this thread on to hopefully help speed things up.

If you do decide to return, and have any issues whatsoever in getting this sorted out with our support teams. Please let me know. Hopefully it's all sorted before it comes to that though.

The team investigating have asked me for the models of phones involved too, you mentioned these were all iPhones can you confirm which model number(s)?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Rural
Regular

Sorry for the late reply. We have iPhones 7, 11, 12 and 13. They are all fully updated with the latest software and we have tried resetting them and tried connecting again but it did t work. Also tried rebooting the router, again nothing works. 

Hagadol
Regular

Has anyone found out if Three 5G Broadband on a ZTE mc888 supports Wifi Calling from other networks ?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Hagadol,

We've been investigating a few reports of this issue. Can you confirm which network provider, and which models of phone you've been having trouble with?

Thanks,
Jonathan