cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antenna Recommendations for NR5103E

boogaloo
Active

Now that my replacement NR5103E router has arrived and it connects to 5G (yay!), I'd like to buy it an antenna so I can put the router in a cupboard and leave the antenna on the windowsill.

I thought about buying the following: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eightwood-Omnidirectional-Antenna-Magnetic-Extension/dp/B0B2DD5K5H/ref=sr_1...

Can someone who knows about this sort of thing confirm if the connectors on the antenna cable would fit on the pins at the back of the router?

If not, what connection type should I be looking for and is there an indoor antenna that you recommend? The more reasonably priced the better...

Best solution
Best solution
crypt0ninja
Established

Hi @boogaloo,

Glad to see you're happy with the speeds following the replacement NR5103E 🙂

The NR5103E has 4 ports to suit a 4x4 MIMO antenna with 4 connections. It doesn't look like that one you linked is 5G compatible and is only 2x2 MIMO, also I personally wouldn't advise anyone to buy those small desk type antennas as the internal antennas likely do a better job.

As you have mentioned you would like to place the antenna near the window (I guess that's where you get better signal/speeds) I would advise to go for something like the Poynting XPOL-1-V2-5G-41 4x4 MIMO Omni-Directional antenna which is what I'm currently using.

Its a nice small size and comes supplied with window suction cups so you can stick the antenna to the inside or outside of the window in order to bring that outdoors signal inside the house.

It supports all the 4G and 5G bands currently used by Three and other networks in the UK.

Worthwhile 5G antennas are not cheap to be fair but this is one of the lower priced but good quality 5G external antennas options that does a very good job if all you are trying to do is bring the outdoor signal inside the house, and I've tested a few of the 5G Omni-Directional antennas now...

The external antenna ports on the NR5103E are TS9 ports and the majority of the consumer 5G antennas use SMA connections so you will need TS9 to SMA pigtail adapters which can easily be purchased from places like Amazon etc. and are cheap 🙂

Just be as gentle as possible when connecting to pigtails and antenna up as to not stress the TS9 ports!

Hope this helps!

View solution in conversation

6 REPLIES 6
Best solution
crypt0ninja
Established

Hi @boogaloo,

Glad to see you're happy with the speeds following the replacement NR5103E 🙂

The NR5103E has 4 ports to suit a 4x4 MIMO antenna with 4 connections. It doesn't look like that one you linked is 5G compatible and is only 2x2 MIMO, also I personally wouldn't advise anyone to buy those small desk type antennas as the internal antennas likely do a better job.

As you have mentioned you would like to place the antenna near the window (I guess that's where you get better signal/speeds) I would advise to go for something like the Poynting XPOL-1-V2-5G-41 4x4 MIMO Omni-Directional antenna which is what I'm currently using.

Its a nice small size and comes supplied with window suction cups so you can stick the antenna to the inside or outside of the window in order to bring that outdoors signal inside the house.

It supports all the 4G and 5G bands currently used by Three and other networks in the UK.

Worthwhile 5G antennas are not cheap to be fair but this is one of the lower priced but good quality 5G external antennas options that does a very good job if all you are trying to do is bring the outdoor signal inside the house, and I've tested a few of the 5G Omni-Directional antennas now...

The external antenna ports on the NR5103E are TS9 ports and the majority of the consumer 5G antennas use SMA connections so you will need TS9 to SMA pigtail adapters which can easily be purchased from places like Amazon etc. and are cheap 🙂

Just be as gentle as possible when connecting to pigtails and antenna up as to not stress the TS9 ports!

Hope this helps!

sitrap_c
Regular

I have bought one of these for my NR5103E - it has 4 connections labelled main 1, aux 1, main 2, aux 2. Which cable goes to which port ? 

boogaloo
Active

Thanks @crypt0ninja !! Your input is always welcome, helpful and informative 🙂 I think I'll refrain from buying an antenna for now and just run ethernet cables to my windowsill - a cheaper solution, even if a bit ugly.

crypt0ninja
Established

The internal antennas on the NR5103E are very good IMO so they do pick up the signal nicely on windowsills!

If it looks ugly get creative with the wiring to make it look pretty! 😃😂

RK
Fledgling

Try it in the attic, if you have one

Daisychain connect with an Ethernet cable to your old/new routers/ap - better signal  and hidden all rooms have faster speeds 

RK
Fledgling

I tried an external antenna at first but as mentioned above got better signal with the built in ones