cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

Krisr
Regular

Recently received a 4G+ hub , it has medium strength signal all over the house , connected easy to all my devices, however, the speed is so variable it can be as low as 5 Mb the fastest I got has been 25 Mb most of the time it’s about 10 Mb , when 3 advertises 70 Mb …. Is this typical for this network? 

6 REPLIES 6
sc1999
Local celebrity

I only have 3 on my phone and I am in rural Herefordshire. I get between 5 and 20 with upload of 1 -2. It has got worse since they started working on my local tower 6 - 8 weeks ago. I didn't realise that 3's service had got so bad since I last used otherwise I would have paid a bit extra and gone to O2.

Krisr
Regular

Thanks for your reply. Bit concerning that you also have a negative experience of 3's broadband speed. I  live in a rural area of South Wales, but when I signed up 3' stated 4G coverge was good, and the expected speed limits were 70Bm.   I will continue to assess, As it come with a 30 day money back guarantee, which I may use.  

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey Kris,

Welcome to the Three Community.

I'm sorry to hear that your new Broadband has been letting you down. Have you been able to check the coverage and network status for yourself? This may help indicate if what you're experiencing is typical in the area, or down to a fault we're working on.

With the variance in speed, does the time of day seem to be relevant at all? This could be indicative of network congestion if it's at particular times. Let us know and we'll do what we can to help.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

dksglen
Active

Put it as HIGH up as you can. My speeds are a lot better with my router from 3 high up on a cupboard. No where near the window either. 

also. I didn’t get antennas with mine? Should I have? It’s the 4g ZTE router I was sent. 

FWAGuru
Employee
Employee

Hi Krisr,

There's a few things you could try to improve the service you're receiving.

1. Have you added the antennas supplied with the device? They screw into the ports on the back and should help you get a better signal strength.

2. Can you work out where the nearest cell tower is and locate the device on that side of the house, near a window, away from other electrical equipment. Get it as close as you can in terms of line of site to the cell tower. Use OpenSignal to find cell tower locations. Getting a strong signal is the best way to get higher speeds.

3. Have the speed tests you've run all been over Wifi? Could you run a speed test with an ethernet cable? There could be Wifi congestion and a change of Wifi channels could help.

Speeds will vary at peak times, just because more people are using the cell tower. That's the same with fixed line services.

Hope that helps. ✌️

SarahC
Employee
Employee

Great reply @FWAGuru 👏

We wouldn't have much more to add other than checking the coverage and network status to determine if any faults are being worked on, which @JonathanB mentioned!