cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I order a 5G hub where there is no 5G coverage and rely on the hub to operate in 4G mode?

nrf
Fledgling

Hi,

I am in the process of moving home. In the new house an OpenReach engineer needs to visit to activate my fibre. There is a gap of ~15 days between my move in date and the OpenReach engineer visit so I was looking for a temporary hub/MiFi solution until I am up and running with the fibre.

Given the circumstances I would like an unlimited 1 month plan. I understand that my area is not served by 5G so I would need to order a MiFi, which for a 1 month plan comes with a big upfront cost.

In understand that the 5G hubs usually switch back to 4G operation if the 5G signal is weak/not present.

Could I therefore order a 5G hub, despite the lack of coverage at my address, and use it in "4G mode" in order to save in upfront costs given that the 1 month 5G hub plan has no upfront cost?

Thanks for the advice and support.

5 REPLIES 5
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, I used to have fibre broadband with Shell before I got cut off by them and used my mobile phone as a hotspot with monthly data add-ons with Three for £15 extra. I didn't have any problems with 4G coverage and when I opted for Three home broadband, I cancelled the recurring add-on on my phone. Simple... no device to send back as well.

nrf
Fledgling

I am not keen to use my mobile phone as hotspot as I'll have multiple devices that need connecting at the same time (tablets, kids TV etc.)

sc1999
Local celebrity

Read the spec of the device you are looking to buy. A lot of devices are multi band and should cover 3, 4 and 5G.

nrf
Fledgling

is it contemplated by Three to just buy from them just the plan with no hardware, i.e. you purchase the hardware yourself?

My point was more on the fact that Three seem to force you to buy a MiFi solution with upfront cost if there is no 5G coverage in your area. I therefore wanted to explore if I could indeed buy the 5G hub plan from Three even if I had no 5G coverage, and rely on the device to switch back to 4G.  

nrf_0-1675699139144.png

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @nrf,

You can only order one of our 5G Home Broadband plans in an area that our checks confirm will support the service. 

Although, as you've mentioned on the subsequent reply, you could just buy the plan i.e a SIM only, and source hardware yourself. All our SIMs support 3, 4 and 5G. Here's a link to current data SIM plans. This option doesn't require a MiFi purchase

Hope this helps,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.