cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Mifi plan to unlimited

Confusedmifi
Fledgling

I bought a month to month 10GB plan with a Mifi device. I contacted through live chat to upgrade this to unlimited but was told that this wasn’t possible until the end of the contract (even though it’s a month to month one).

When asked if there was any other way round this, they said the only other way was to cancel early, but I would need to send the device back. I would then need to start a new plan with unlimited data and pay ANOTHER upfront cost to get a new Mifi device. What’s the point of that, if I’ve already got one?

In addition, why would I need to send the device back when I’ve already paid an upfront cost for it? The chat advisor claimed that there is no way to keep the mifi device, but could not point towards any terms/conditions that show this being the case.

Looking for some help with what should be a very simple request, but is turning into an absolute headache.

8 REPLIES 8
sc1999
Local celebrity

MBB is 3's way of saying monthly contract and you have, probably,  signed up for a 24 month contract. A lot of the networks no longer give you routers and mifi's for keeps and they require their return at the end of contract. It's their way of making their green creds look better because us customers cannot be relied upon to recycle.

I can understand why you want to upgrade as unlimited appears cheaper. If you have taken out your contract recently there may be a minimum period before you can upgrade. It may be after your first bill but I don't know. Log into to my3 and see if there is any info.

Confusedmifi
Fledgling

It was definitely a “1 month” contract that I signed up for.

I’m struggling to find it anywhere in my documents, or on the website that I’m required to send back the Mifi when the SIM is cancelled. If anyone could point to me where it says that, I’d appreciate it.

When I try to change it online, it just says it can’t be changed online and to get in touch to do so. When I have though, they says they can’t change it because it’s in a contract. I can’t even set it up to be unlimited at the end of the month. 

sc1999
Local celebrity

Did you have to pay for the mifi device for a 1 month contract, even if it's a rolling 1 month contract?

sc1999
Local celebrity

Okay found the details, I needed a shovel but eventually dug deep enough. Any details about returning the device may be in the contract that you were sent or emailed. 

Confusedmifi
Fledgling

Yeah, there was a £19 upfront charge for the Mifi device.

I’ve checked the documents we received and couldn’t find anything regarding the device needing sent back

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Confusedmifi,

I'm sorry to hear about all this confusion about your plan and contract. Hopefully we can get this all cleared up. Just to check this is a MiFi, so that's a portable hotspot device rather than a home router? We do require the return of 5G home routers but a MiFi usually remains your property.

From what I can see regardless of whether you have a 1 month, 12 month, or 24 months agreement increasing your data allowance should be possible, we can't necessarily downgrade the data allowance again, but an upwards move is usually allowed.

When did you initially purchase this?

Let me know on the above questions and I can hopefully point you in the right direction for more help.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Confusedmifi
Fledgling

Thanks for your reply Jonathan.

Yes, it’s a Mifi device, not a home router.

I initially purchased this at the start of this month and it was delivered on 3rd May.

When I try to change my plan online, it says:

Sorry, you can't change your plan online right now. To get in touch, please call 333 or go to:

and then when I’ve got in touch multiple times, no one has been able to upgrade this for me and have suggested things like cancelling and sending the device back (which is more of a hassle than I wanted)

Ideally just looking to keep things the exact same, but pay a little bit extra per month for unlimited data. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Confusedmifi,

From looking into this it seems like you've been given advice based on still being in the returns period. I agree with you that returning the MiFi and getting a refund, only to order a 2nd one does seem like an overly complicated solution.

I'll send you a private message to direct you to some colleagues that can check for any better solution.

To view your private messages on the community click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.