cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data sim or 5g home broadband?

Paul_at_Home
Regular

Hi, advice needed please.

I use the EE network on my mobile phone and live a bit off the beaten track.  Recently I noticed that my phone started connecting to 5g and this prompted me to investigate further.

The result of my investigations led me to the three availability checker.  This indicated that 5g broadband was not available at my address but on viewing the map I could see a small area of the darker colour outdoor and indoor coverage right on top of my house.  It is not unusual for maps and satnavs to fail to pinpoint my address as the number of my house is about a quarter of a mile away from its adjacent number. (No one can ever find me!)

EE on my phone gave me a 5g download speed of 150 Mbps.  I then got hold of a pre-loaded three sim to try and in certain parts of my house indoors that gave a speed of 480 Mbps.  Now for someone who is limited to fibre to the cabinet broadband with with a speed of 35 Mbps and no immediate prospect of anything faster then three 5g broadband seems fantastic but the availability checker says I cant have it.  I therefore signed up for a data only three sim and bought a D-link DWR978 router which, after getting used to a bit of extra latency, works brilliantly.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me, here is my question:  is there any point in trying to persuade three to let me have 5g broadband as the checker seems not to know the correct position of my house?  Or should I just stick with the data only sim?  Are there any advantages of having 5g broadband over the data sim?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, I would stick with what you have already if the speeds and service are acceptable and the cost of the data sim is no different to a 24 month Home broadband contract.

Three 5G Home broadband would only be worth considering if Three state there is service available in your area otherwise you maybe stuck in a contract not delivering what you expect and then the hassle to return the router.

There's no advantage in getting Three 5G broadband if you are already getting 480 Mb/s speed. The sim you would get with Three's broadband is just a data sim.

Paul_at_Home
Regular

Thank you for the advice.

Dazzar
Established

The checker said I could not have it , went and got it anyway and it works so don’t believe the checker