cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External IP address is changing all the time

PeterSmithson
Fledgling

Hi,

I had problems using my Santander bank account via the web interface. It kept throwing me out so I contacted their web support and they told me that my IP address is constantly changing. Sure enough, if I go to a website that tells me my external IP address, it will change all the time. I mean every minute or something.

It doesn't seem to impact anything else. I can use Facebook, Netflix, work VPN etc without issue so it's not a huge deal. When I want to use my bank, I use the built-in VPN on Opera to work around the issue.

I'm just wondering why on earth it's happening. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Peter

2 REPLIES 2
Wwwally
Fledgling

I think its due to the CGNAT protocol. Google it. There is a workaround to disable CGNAT using a special APN setting. (3internet from memory)

CGNAT is used to share IP addresses amongst multiple users. The effect is that the IP address appears to change - banks sometimes see that as a secuirty issue and so block the connection.

PeterSmithson
Fledgling

I think all the ISP's do that unless you pay out for a static one. So you'll get an IP address assigned to you that might change. I'm used to that but not used to it changing so often. Normally you have it for many hours. This thing is cgangin by the minute! Crazy