cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

My wife uses VPN for work and one day she wasn't able to connect. I checked the router (Zyxel NR5103E) web-config and noticed the Primary/Secondary DNSv6 server addresses info were present which weren't before.

I tried disabling IPv6 in the WAN and LAN settings but internet service stopped.

I then enabled manual APN mode and changed from 3internet to Three.co.uk and restarted the router. After restart, the IPv6 info was N/A and the VPN was able to connect. VPN also connected when APN was set to 3internet with manual APN enabled.

The strange thing was when APN Manual Mode was disabled and router reset, IPv6 info was displayed. It looks like the router was obtaining IPv6 and IPv4 info from Three if manual APN mode is disabled. This could be the PDP Type being set to IPv4/IPv6 automatically by Three where as in manual APN mode, I have it set to IPv4 only.

APN_3Internet.JPGAPN_Three.JPG

Best solution
Best solution
NG
Regular

Update: Anvil_Iron is the man!!!

To add a little detail to help the more ignorant like me:

First, log in to the hub from a browser ideally on your laptop (or I guess phone), not the hub app. (ie, 192.168.1.1/login, logging in as admin)

1) under top-right burger menu-->Network Settings-->Broadband-->Cellular APN, I set to manual so it ended up as follows:

NG_3-1689597772547.png

And under Burger menu-->Network Settings-->Home Networking-->Lan Setup, click on the 1st APN setting in the list (on the right-hand side where you click to edit), then

NG_2-1689597717197.png

I then rebooted the hub, confirmed settings remained as above, and rebooted my devices (including network switch).  Audio player and speaker when connected to my network switch  do show up on hub app both under Wi-Fi and LAN as expected.

... AND I'M NOW LISTENING TO MY PINK FLOYD ALBUM ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Thanks again Anvil_iron!!

View solution in conversation

66 REPLIES 66
digitaltoast
Active

I just tried switching back to the "new" 3internet profile, and it is still causing problems with Prime Video, my security cameras, VPN etc. 

What is still happening is that often it does eventually connect, but it takes a long time. For example, Prime Video can take 30 seconds to start playing a video rather than just instantly on three.co.uk profile.

Also, the 3internet profile is also significantly slower than the three.co.uk profile - less than half the speed.

Can we assume that this is never going to get fixed, as people are still having problems with this over a year since first reported?

(In case you're wondering: The reason I may need the 3internet profile is that Google is closing their VPN service soon, which is what I used to create give me the ipv6 address I need to talk to some remote IPv6-only IoT devices and services).

fwldavid
Fledgling

Hi. Similar story here.  Was able to work over VPN fine for a few months then it stopped working.  I followed the instructions to disable IPv6 and I was able to work - but only over ethernet.  About half our devices when they now connect over Wi-Fi are told that there is no internet (Router connectivity page says "Band: 5GHz") and the other half are OK (page says "Band: Wi-Fi 5GHz).  Have tried reboots and everything we can think of.  Does this ring a bell with anyone - can we get the Wi-Fi working on all devices?  Thanks!

chris_hand85
Fledgling

Hi, sorry I am not very tech-savvy. Where do i go to change these settings?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @chris_hand85,

This can vary depending on your router, but this reply may help you find the correct part of your settings menus.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Jadeq
Fledgling

Hi how do you get to these settings to change them? Only my phone connects my laptop doesn’t and neither does my sky puc

digitaltoast
Active

Hi @JonathanB - it's been well over a year since this was first reported, and there are 7 pages of posts just in this thread alone, and many others in other product forums having the same problem.

Just as with the email notifications, this is a simple software configuration error at three's end which would take them a few minutes to fix.

Doesn't it seem a bit crazy that you are having to tell hundreds of users to make configuration changes on their end, rather than 3 making one change themselves?

For me, it affects BBC iplayer/Sounds, Adobe Sync, Amazon Fire TV, my security cameras etc etc... it seems to affect others in other ways. And remember, these are JUST the people who are tech savvy enough to know how to find and use these forums, and then how to access advanced router configuration settings.

I understand the move to IPv6 is essential and can bring benefits, but cecause Three rolled out this (broken) configuration change to routers without customers realising, there are probably many thousands of other users who think their equipment/app is faulty and wasted hours posting on other forums.

And once the configuration is actually fixed, you're going to have all these people who have manually changed their routers back to IPv4 when they might be better of with v6.

So, can we please get some information to confirm that that IS definitely an internal ticket for this, and why it's taking so long?

Jadeq
Fledgling

Hi digitaltoast. I am one of these who wasn’t tech savvy and had to get my IT department at work to help me do this.. all I wanted was to know where the settings were to change these. Now it’s been changed my end it works perfectly! I agree someone from three needs to sort this as the only thing in my home it would connect to was my mobile this has been going on for 4 months for me and I’ve been paying for a service that didn’t work… hen I told three it wasn’t working they were useless 😕 unfortunately they didn’t help me at all! But thank you all for the thread! Maybe three can make one so everyone who has the same issues can locate it with the non tech savvy individuals a step by step guid