cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

My wife uses VPN for work and one day she wasn't able to connect. I checked the router (Zyxel NR5103E) web-config and noticed the Primary/Secondary DNSv6 server addresses info were present which weren't before.

I tried disabling IPv6 in the WAN and LAN settings but internet service stopped.

I then enabled manual APN mode and changed from 3internet to Three.co.uk and restarted the router. After restart, the IPv6 info was N/A and the VPN was able to connect. VPN also connected when APN was set to 3internet with manual APN enabled.

The strange thing was when APN Manual Mode was disabled and router reset, IPv6 info was displayed. It looks like the router was obtaining IPv6 and IPv4 info from Three if manual APN mode is disabled. This could be the PDP Type being set to IPv4/IPv6 automatically by Three where as in manual APN mode, I have it set to IPv4 only.

APN_3Internet.JPGAPN_Three.JPG

58 REPLIES 58
Pixpix
Fledgling

I convinced my wife to bin our terrible sky broadband and signal wasn’t great with just the router, so I bought mesh system which didn’t work (because of this problem) then inexplicably did work great for a while, then stopped working again because of this issue.  

I just wanted to say thanks for saving my marriage!  😂

Jonesdodga
Fledgling

Thanks man, 3 different calls to three, nowhere. Temporary issue apparently after mast was fixed. This has sorted the problem straight away 👍

Involved

Yeah, good luck with calling Three. Their customer "support" is worse than useless. Every single time I try. It's truly disheartening.

Glad you got it fixed!

Sa007
Fledgling

Looks like I have the same problem. Can some guide me with step my step guidance how to fix please with screenshots

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sa007,

It's a little buried in the comments now, but this reply gives a bit more details and screenshots which may help you.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

digitaltoast
Active

I just tried switching back to the "new" 3internet profile, and it is still causing problems with Prime Video, my security cameras, VPN etc. 

What is still happening is that often it does eventually connect, but it takes a long time. For example, Prime Video can take 30 seconds to start playing a video rather than just instantly on three.co.uk profile.

Also, the 3internet profile is also significantly slower than the three.co.uk profile - less than half the speed.

Can we assume that this is never going to get fixed, as people are still having problems with this over a year since first reported?

(In case you're wondering: The reason I may need the 3internet profile is that Google is closing their VPN service soon, which is what I used to create give me the ipv6 address I need to talk to some remote IPv6-only IoT devices and services).

fwldavid
Fledgling

Hi. Similar story here.  Was able to work over VPN fine for a few months then it stopped working.  I followed the instructions to disable IPv6 and I was able to work - but only over ethernet.  About half our devices when they now connect over Wi-Fi are told that there is no internet (Router connectivity page says "Band: 5GHz") and the other half are OK (page says "Band: Wi-Fi 5GHz).  Have tried reboots and everything we can think of.  Does this ring a bell with anyone - can we get the Wi-Fi working on all devices?  Thanks!

chris_hand85
Fledgling

Hi, sorry I am not very tech-savvy. Where do i go to change these settings?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @chris_hand85,

This can vary depending on your router, but this reply may help you find the correct part of your settings menus.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.