cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty 5G router?

AndrewM
Fledgling

I’ve spent the last two weeks reading about 25 forums on this very issue.

My device circles from 4G+ (excellent) > 5G (no signal) > No Sim Installed. I’ve done the manual band selection and have managed to get it to work on 4G only but when I first had the device, I was getting speeds of 150-180MBPS. Now it’s 35-55MBPS. I’ve done every reset going, phoned three 3 times with each call lasting nearly two hours and was on the verge of returning the router. 4G+ is just about useable, but - up to this point - I’ve been hotspotting my phone with no issues. So I know 5G works indoors and I can see the very nearby mast from my window! In fact, the houses at the mast have the same postcode as me.

I’ve been told of mast issues, which don’t appear online. I’ve been told of poor 5G indoor coverage (which isn’t true with my iPhone) and that there’s no issue with my device. I work a lot on the road, so I’ve tried to grab a moment here and there to sort this - but it worked perfectly for 2 weeks and for the past 7 have been hopeless. 4G is a useful stopgap but I have no idea how to get them to replace the unit. The 5G signal rate is off the scale and I’d have expected to see something - so I’m just trying to get the service I’m paying for 😞

Andrew

IMG_9879.png

IMG_9877.png

  

IMG_9878.png

10 REPLIES 10
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AndrewM,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into this issue with your router not connecting onto 5G. Thanks for your patience and for trying the suggestions elsewhere like manual band selection. I'll send you a private message now to get you in touch with some colleagues that can check into an exchange for you.

JonathanB

Three Community is celebrating our 2nd Birthday with a prize draw! join in here

Jeza
Fledgling

Hi @JonathanB,

I'm having the exact same symptoms as @AndrewM with my new router, and have similarly tried out suggested solutions here and elsewhere to no success. Is there any chance you could also pass on the details on who to contact to arrange an exchange to me as well?

Many thanks! Jeza

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Jeza,

I sent you a reply on your PM about this yesterday, with directions to more help. Please let me know if that gets this sorted out for you.

Thanks,
JonathanB

yuungtaaj
Fledgling

ive tried 10 times over the past two years to get a replacement always pushing me to do a bs test for two weeks

HelenaArlo
Fledgling

Hi JonathonB,

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get my daughter’s new router to connect to 5g. I have tried all the suggestions on the various three forums and I have also tried a replacement Sim as I had the same error message about sim not ready. Still no joy but put the sim in my iPhone and get strong 5g signal and download speeds of 800mbs so it’s obviously a router problem. I notice you have helped many others with this problem and  wondered if you could help us please?

thanks 

AndrewM
Fledgling

I can confirm that the replacement router I got sent has fixed this issue. A great palaver getting it fixed - I must have entered 8+ webchats of 45 mins getting this looked into an arranging a courier to collect/replace - who never showed up and trying to reorganise (while on dodgy internet that kept on disconnecting) was a real issue. It only took 4 months from first report - but I can now confirm it’s up-and-running and have download speeds of 60-160MBPS but massively struggling on upload speeds - I had to abandon a zoom call earlier and I’ve turned off WiFi calling on my phone as the delays are embarrasing.  

Dan_Mikhaylov
Fledgling

Hi JonathanB,

I have the same problem - the tech support folks told me to get a replacement sim, but that did not solve the connection issue. I have also been noticing that my router behaves differently when I reset it to how it used to - would really appreciate some guidance on how to secure a replacement bc up until the last 3 weeks, the Three wi-fi was the best wi-fi I've ever had.

Dan_Mikhaylov
Fledgling
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dan_Mikhaylov,

I'll do my best to help, but can you let me know a little bit more about the issues you're experiencing? The OP's issue potentially pointed to several different causes, so the more info you provide the better we can diagnose this issue, and provide a solution.

Thanks,
Jonathan