cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty 5G router?

AndrewM
Fledgling

I’ve spent the last two weeks reading about 25 forums on this very issue.

My device circles from 4G+ (excellent) > 5G (no signal) > No Sim Installed. I’ve done the manual band selection and have managed to get it to work on 4G only but when I first had the device, I was getting speeds of 150-180MBPS. Now it’s 35-55MBPS. I’ve done every reset going, phoned three 3 times with each call lasting nearly two hours and was on the verge of returning the router. 4G+ is just about useable, but - up to this point - I’ve been hotspotting my phone with no issues. So I know 5G works indoors and I can see the very nearby mast from my window! In fact, the houses at the mast have the same postcode as me.

I’ve been told of mast issues, which don’t appear online. I’ve been told of poor 5G indoor coverage (which isn’t true with my iPhone) and that there’s no issue with my device. I work a lot on the road, so I’ve tried to grab a moment here and there to sort this - but it worked perfectly for 2 weeks and for the past 7 have been hopeless. 4G is a useful stopgap but I have no idea how to get them to replace the unit. The 5G signal rate is off the scale and I’d have expected to see something - so I’m just trying to get the service I’m paying for 😞

Andrew

IMG_9879.png

IMG_9877.png

  

IMG_9878.png

10 REPLIES 10
Dan_Mikhaylov
Fledgling

Thank you for responding, @JonathanB!

The issue I've been having was as follows:

1. 3 weeks ago on Sunday afternoon, I noticed that speed dropped from 5G to <2 Mbps without any visible reason. I tried resetting it a couple of times on the day and throughout the first week, but to no avail. 

2. I called the customer support team. They said no issues were reported in my area and told me they would take a week to inspect the local mast. After they got back to me, stating the mast signal was fine, they advised me to procure a replacement SIM.

3. I ordered a replacement SIM, but since then, more than a week has passed, and the issue persists. When I called customer support again, they said they can access the router remotely and according to their sensors, there was no malfunction with it despite low speed. When I asked them what the solution might be, I received "We don't know".

4. I suspect the issue might be with the router - Zyxel 5G. Of the 5 lights it is supposed to show, it only shows 4 (omits the 2nd on the left entirely even as it did not use to do that before). It also behaves differently when I reset it to how it used to (1st, 2nd, and 3rd lights from the left start flickering during reset before going off - wasn't the case before).

Everything seems a tad odd because the problem occurred on Sunday afternoon (I doubt the engineers were doing significant work then) and I previously had outstanding coverage. I checked the new SIM on my phone and the broadband speed was better.

Thanks in advance and so sorry for the inconvenience!