Our new roaming giveaway is live find out more here!
Give us your feedback about how easy you've found getting ready to roam on the above linked article, and you'll be in with the chance to win one of 10, 7 day Go Roam passes to use in Europe and Around the World destinations. Prize draw open till 01 May 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection issues loading/changing site- secure connection failed/site can't be reached

EDIflyer
Involved

Is anyone else occasionally getting a 'connection down' error from Chrome (or 'Secure Connection Failed' from Firefox) when changing page - if I hit refresh it works fine. At first I wondered if it was the site I was using but have noticed it on multiple different major websites over the past couple of months and not noticed it from other locations where I don't use Three Broadband so does seem to be related to the router/connection (this is via wired Ethernet too, so not a WiFi problem).  I've tried changing DNS server in case that helps but no difference.

It mainly seems to happen when trying to first load a site or (annoyingly) at checkout when a different site is being loaded as part of the checkout process.  It certainly doesn't happen everytime but does happen with reasonable frequency.  I've also noticed I often get it when trying to pull/push from/to Github too and have to do so a number of times for it to work (browsing the Github website works fine).

I'm using a NR5103E with Firmware Version V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 - I tried rebooting it but to no effect.

EDIflyer_0-1697984212494.pngEDIflyer_1-1697984219294.png

EDIflyer_4-1697984241361.png

168 REPLIES 168
wgen
Regular

Issue has now returned as of this evening...

MP
Regular

Spoke too soon, the issue is back on a Three Business connection. 
Not as often but it has started happening this past 2-weeks on various different websites.
Still totally unacceptable.

AkiTaiyo
Regular

This has started happening to me over the past few days. 
I'm using GL.iNet GL-X3000 and APN 3internet. 
Been with Three for home broadband for a few years and never had this problem until now.

fashric
Active

Mine cleared up for a few days, then the connection went down, had to restart the router and bam all the connection issues back again.

Chrisrkilv
Regular

I've been having the same issue for months. Coincidentally, since my first free 3 months ended and I could no longer exit the contract... I logged a complaint with three and never got a call-back or any contact what so ever. They have just closed my complaint due to "customer being uncontactable". I've had no calls, no emails, no text messages! 

Complaint was logged 1st of March so I think it's time to take this to the ombudsman.

hughesceri
Active

The issue seems to have gone away for me (for now at least). I bought a TP-Link mesh network (Deco X50 AX3000) and the issue went away as soon as I connected through that and not directly to the Three router, so I assumed it had something to do with it. There was also a post a while back from someone seeing the same issue go away with a similar setup.

Anyway, I've just reconnected my laptop back to the Three router directly and I'm still not seeing an issue. So either the issue has been fixed for me, or the presence of the TP-Link kit on my network is doing something to mitigate it.

I run an Eero mesh network and it still happens. I'm pretty sure the issue happens the other side of the router, but I dont have any other 5G router to test that,

Chrisrkilv
Regular

Got on the phone with Three again today to bug them some more, I've spent the past two days of speaking to around 4 or 5 "technical teams" and the complaints department. I've been trying to direct every call handler's attention to this forum post with no luck. They are just call handlers at the end of the day and mostly deal with non-technical folk who just need their wifi password changing or modem resetting... They probably don't even have certain access permissions within their IT Systems to fix this issue...

I finally got a nice lady on the phone who was willing to open the link to this forum on her end and have added the link to this forum to my case, she even took a look at the spreadsheet for the technical details of the modem and sites having issues with. Posting here again for visibility (Add your details for it to go to Ofcom as a complaint)....

*Link removed*

She has said that the case will be escalated up the technical chain, whether anything comes from that I have no idea but I'm not letting the complaint be closed without either the issue being resolved or exiting my contract early without any cost occurred.

The absolute best thing we can do as a collective is call Three, complain. Feel free to cite the following complaint ID as a reference and just say your having the same issue - 240228101988498 & 240415102165802. The more we bug them the more eyes we get on this issue.

EDIflyer
Involved

Great work @Chrisrkilv - will call in the next day or two to add a complaint and mention those IDs.

@JonathanB - surely this needs to really be escalated to the highest level of technical support now given how many customers are still affected? Can you please let us know what's happening re escalation?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Chrisrkilv,

I appreciate your intentions are to help by sharing this link, but we can't host a link to a document soliciting information from other community members.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of sharing the complaint references too, but staff won't be able to access your complaint notes on behalf of other customers. That being said, the reference for the overall issue is INC300001557900 so that may be more helpful if you're in contact with staff from other teams who don't seem to be familiar with the issue.

I'm sorry that I haven't received any detailed updates, I'll let everyone know as soon as I have anything useful I can share here.

Thanks,
Jonathan

We'd like to hear your feedback! Let us know how easy you find it to get ready to Roam, and be in with a chance to win 7 days of free Roaming Passes – find out more here!