cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5G Hub - extending WiFi coverage

TheBeeInHull
Fledgling

Hi all.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to extend the strength of the WiFi signal from the new 5G Hub. Our Hub sits on a window sill at the front of the house but the speeds at the back of house could do with boosting.

Thanks in advance !

6 REPLIES 6
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Does the Wi-Fi signal from the router adequately cover both upstairs and downstairs at the front of the property? If the reception isn't that good then a mesh system is probable best to get a whole home coverage.

Either a TP-Link Deco X50 or Deco PX50 would be a good choice for a 4 bedroom house.

If the coverage is good enough at the front then a powerline adapter may do the job. Ones with Gigabit ports, Wi-Fi 6 and mesh expansion are very good.

Network Expansion | TP-Link United Kingdom

Techlec
Fledgling

agree with other answer - the TP-Link Deco X50 are really good and will set you back around £130+ (when on special). Set one up for my father-in-law  - your devices will jump between the DECO's 'intelligently' and will see any of them as one connection point.
However if you find that it out of you budget you may wish to look at the  TP-Link AC2600  Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE650) around £75, not as 
sophisticated as the DECO's and you are likely to see as a secondary wifi connection (RouterName_ext) wifi point - but should do the job

Good Luck

stevekn
Involved

Ive turned the modem's wifi off and feed a mesh system through ethernet.

main plus 2 satellites give me wifi thought the house and garden.

IanT
Fledgling

H

i have just purchased a Deco system and trying to set it up with NR5103E. Deco says I need details of VLAN and PPPoE, I have tried Three chat line but they could not help. Do you know how to get this information ?

davespringer
Fledgling

Hi Ian,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm trying to do the same and can't get my Deco M4s to work.

Thanks!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @davespringer,

Sorry it looks like this was duplicate comment on a couple of threads from @IanT. I did check and answer on another thread. My tech contacts advised you shouldn't need to enter VLAN or PPPoE just pop the main router into bridge or passthrough mode, then generally the main mesh unit should ethernet into the Three router.

Eero 5 Wifi Mesh + NR5103E IP Passthrough has a few tips on the subject of setting up mesh devices. Hopefully there's some info that will help you there.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.