cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE MC888 in bridge mode refuses to recognise my Linksys Mesh Router - No Internet over WAN

jamesmarkcook
Regular

I've just set up my new 5G home broadband with the ZTE MC888 and the first thing I always do is put my ISP router into modem only mode or bridge mode and set up my own WiFi.

Right now I have a Linksys MR9000 Mesh Router which is reporting no internet from the MC888 from the WAN Ethernet port.

What I've done/checked so far:

• Put MC888 into Bridge mode
  • Plugged laptop directly into MC888 WAN port and can see assigned WAN IP (to ensure setup is correct)
  • Changed APN settings. Switched to IPv4 and tried both '3internet' and 'three.co.uk' as APN
  • On latest MC888 firmware
  • Switched to 'Short Wi-Fi Coverage'
  • Tried turning WiFi off completely

I'm at a loss to why my Linksys router cannot establish a connection from the MC888. When it's plugged into the MC888 WAN port I see no devices under 'Cable Access Devices' on the MC888 admin UI. However if I plug my laptop into the MC888 WAN Ethernet port I can see my laptop as a device under 'Cable Access Devices'.

It feels to me like either the MC888 is blocking certain types of routers.

Worth pointing out that I previously had my Linksys router working perfectly fine with a Virgin Media router in modem only mode.

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

5 REPLIES 5
jamesmarkcook
Regular

I just tried with a different router, a Netgear WNDR3700 which gives a bit more information. It's reporting its IP address as 0.0.0.0, basically the MC888 is not assigning an IP address to the any router on its WAN port, but it does when I wire it directly to my laptop.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Is it even possible for 3/ZTE to block routers like this?

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

That's a strange issue to be having. I've seen an issue on my own router that would cause something similar to happen. 

Try turning the Hub off, get it all connected the way you want it, then turn the Hub on. I've seen issues in the past where a Hub in router mode/bridge mode will only lease an IP address once to whichever device is connected at boot. Maybe you're seeing the same thing? 

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

jamesmarkcook
Regular

Hi Pete

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but no luck. I may just take it back to the shop and see if I can get a replacement.

NobodyUK
Fledgling

Yea these hubs just don't seem to play nice with other routers. I had issues with a TP-Link one, which would connect but was never quite right.

Probably down to glitchy firmware or cheap components. I think the VM routers are made by Arris, where as these are cheapo Chinese brands with a big markup.

jamesmarkcook
Regular

In the end I took this router back to the Three shop and they gave me the Zyxel router instead. See my post on how to set up IP Passthrough with that router here: https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Broadband/How-to-setup-IP-Passthrough-Bridge-mode-for-Zyxel-NR5103E...