cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New B14 Firmware For NR5103 has broken UPnP / Gaming!

DrGravity
Regular

So I've started having big issues with gaming via my NR5103E router. Specifically despite UPnP being enabled and working without issue for almost a year, my Xbox SX is now locked to a moderate NAT (was previously open) which is causing some issues in multiplayer gaming and blocking parties all together. My PS5 won't connect to the Internet at all!

After trying a bunch of different solutions with the Xbox such as manual port forwarding and even placing it a DMZ (non of which worked), I've realised the only thing that's changed to precipitate this is the router has been updated silently to the new B14 Firmware. It seems this release has caused UPnP / port forwarding not to work, which is a huge issue for anyone who games!.

Has anyone else experienced these issues or been able to roll back their Firmware to the B12 version??

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @DrGravity, that does help narrow things down but ideally it'd be good to know for sure that other devices can connect successfully from your location on the Three network, or get confirmation from some more users that this issue is happening with the NR5103E on the B14 update.

I wonder if you're having a similar issue to what is described here:FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection 

IPv6 wasn't enabled on the previous software update so I'd recommend setting your APN to manual and using 3internet on IPv4 as @Anvil_Iron described on the thread I've linked.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

9 REPLIES 9
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DrGravity,

Are you able to test your Three router SIM, or any other Three SIM on hotspot from a mobile, or from any other device to check if it's definitely a router issue?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

DrGravity
Regular

I've hotspotted my PS5 to my phone (a non Three SIM) and it connected no problem so it definitely a problem with the Three router. The only thing that's changed is the firmware update and my Xbox is specifically calling out that UPnP is now not working, whereas it was fine since I had the router, prior to the firmware update.

Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @DrGravity, that does help narrow things down but ideally it'd be good to know for sure that other devices can connect successfully from your location on the Three network, or get confirmation from some more users that this issue is happening with the NR5103E on the B14 update.

I wonder if you're having a similar issue to what is described here:FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection 

IPv6 wasn't enabled on the previous software update so I'd recommend setting your APN to manual and using 3internet on IPv4 as @Anvil_Iron described on the thread I've linked.

Thanks,
JonathanB

DrGravity
Regular

Thanks @JonathanB, that was a good shout. I've changed my APN to manual and disabled IPv6 as the other user described (I had tried disabling IPv6 before BUT crucially not while changing my APN to manual which appears key!).

My Xbox NAT is now open and the PS5 connects so succes. When I go into UPnP On the router now, I can see both consoles there with the relevant ports automatically forwarded (before nothing was showing up). Can conclude IPv6 is seems to be what's causing the issue.

Dubs
Regular

Can you join Xbox parties now, and does Xbox still show an MTU problem?

Dazzar
Established

Since this update my lan ports keep disconnecting 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dazzar,

Have you tried the manual APN change described on the other thread: FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection ?

There's been a few issues reported on this new software update but so far they all seem to be fixed by changing APN type to manual and using 3internet as APN on IPv4 only.

Thanks,
Jonathan

NG
Regular

YES!  Not gaming, but I have a BlueSound audio streaming player & speaker connected via Ethernet (or Wi-Fi if I choose).  Hadn't used it for a week or 2 -- but now my phone app that controls them can't see them.  Thought it was those devices but after factory resets, phone app reinstall etc there is no change.  All other devices are fine (phones, laptop, video streamer, PS4).

Audio player & speaker appear & disappear from router's list of Wi-Fi devices.  So the timing of this router firmware update is suspiciously coincident.... and the only change to the setup since it was last working.

NG
Regular

JonathanB's link above solves it for me!  Audio streamer back online.  I've added a bit more step-by-step in a comment on that thread.

That said, I happened to have a day free to play around -- but I assume Three are working with Zyxel to fix this?  Shouldn't require a degree in computer science to get this working and it's the sort of issue that is subtle enough to get many people looking in lots of different directions. (Three phone help had no idea at all -- and couldn't even tell me when the firmware update was released...)