cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New three 5g Hub Zyxel NR5103E

Casper1972
Regular

Hi, new to three 5g Mobile broadband. I have just received my 5g hub  Zyxel NR5103E router. Whilst I find the speeds and coverage very good where I live, I find that through the day I lose connectivity until I reboot the hub. After searching many threads on the community, I found this to be common. 

Is there any news on the new firmware release and will this fix this issue. Currently on V1.00) ACBJ.0) b12 firmware.

I did see a thread from 3 (firmware update in the testing phases for the Zyxel NR5103E router)

I have contacted three dedicated broadband and they have performed tests etc and say there is no problem, yet today my hub has dropped out 3 times and I have had to restart the hub each time.

I am trialling this for 30 days but if this does not improve then I will have to look elsewhere for better service. It's a shame because the speeds are good, and I have a very good 5g signal.

• 5G
22 REPLIES 22
crypt0ninja
Established

Hi @Casper1972 

I myself have had the issue with losing connectivity a few times but its only happened a few times for me luckily.

When it happens the router admin page and router LEDs appears to show the connection is fine, good signal etc but just no connectivity until rebooted.

I have reported this issue to @JonathanB via PM so hopefully he can take note that you are also experiencing it and pass the info on for firmware investigation.

b12 is currently the latest firmware.

If you log into the router admin panel and go onto the cellular stats page what CELL ID and Bands is your NR5103E connecting to?

Can you also post a screenshot of your cellular stats so I can get an idea of the signal quality, noise etc?

Casper1972
Regular

Hi 

CELL ID is 12980481

Band  B3,B1,n78,n78.

Unable to screenshot at the moment.

Casper

crypt0ninja
Established

Thanks for the info, just checked out the mast that you are connected to and looks like it provides the following bands:

1,3,20,28,n78

Atm you are connected to B3, B1 with a double connection to N78 (which is the 5G band).

The NR5103E supports band locking via the router admin portal so might be worth trying to lock against some specific band combinations to see if there's any improvement in speed and stability, maybe try lock to these combos and test speeds and stability of each:

B28+N78

B3+B28+N78

B1+B28+N78

B1+B3+B28+N78

Casper1972
Regular

Hi 

Just tried logging into the admin settings but could not find where to lock bands.

crypt0ninja
Established

Its here 👇

Menu Icon (Top Right) > Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band Tab

Casper1972
Regular

Many thanks

I have changed the settings, so will see how it goes.

After speaking to dedicated broadband team they have said if my signal drops again in the next 24hrs to contact them and they will look at replacing the Hub??

crypt0ninja
Established

No worries, some combos will give better performance than others so make sure you test the download/upload speeds and ping when testing each band combination 🙂

Personally I dont think your router is faulty, the majority of faulty NR5103Es I’ve seen cannot pick up 5G at all.

No harm in replacing it if they are offering to for peace of mind though I guess…

Let us know how it goes with the band combo testing for you 👌

Since locking my bands to the best combination for my location things have been very stable.

Casper1972
Regular

Hi

At the moment I'm trying B1+B3+B20+B28+N78

Any others i try i get the message forbidden

Also the Cell ID has Changed to 12980552

crypt0ninja
Established

OK cool, just remember that more bands doesn't mean more performance/stability, some bands can bog down performance and stability when added into the mix.

That new Cell ID is the same mast just a different Cell on it 🙂