cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three MC888 disconnecting

James2
Fledgling

For the past month our WiFi has been dropping out on the MC888 router (despite all lights showing white on the router). This happens multiple times per day and the only way to restore connection to our devices is to restart the router.

The only reason we switched to this router was because we started having the same issue on the old Huawei model and the support team claimed this one would work better, one month in and we now have the same issue again (the 5g broadband worked fine for the first two years).

We have spoken with the tech support team who have been of no help, their only advice is to restart the router and claim it's a signal issue. I have a mobile contract with three and the 5g on that is fine so it must be a problem with the router?

Please could you advise the necessary steps to resolve this issue, if it cannot be resolved we will have to switch to fibre.

4 REPLIES 4
Spud
Involved

If it's truly a wifi problem (with two manufacturers' routers), I doubt switching to fibre will help.

Try an app like Wifi Analyzer on Android to see how crowded your wifi neighbourhood is. You may be able to force the 2.4Ghz band to use channel 13 for example if lower channels are crowded. Are you using 5Ghz? If so what does that look like on WiFi Analyzer?

James2
Fledgling

Is it likely to be a WiFi problem? All our devices in the house stop connecting to the network at the same time (about 4 times per day) and then all reconnect once the router is restarted.

We also have a couple of devices connected via ethernet which have the same issue.

There seems to be limited options in the settings for this router, I cannot disable 5ghz for example or rename the bands separately. (At least I can't find that option). So we do use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands and they broadcast under the same SSID. 

I'm not sure how to interpret WiFi analyzer but this is what it shows:

https://ibb.co/ctBvWTd 

https://ibb.co/w7hcPtb

Spud
Involved

Your WiFi neighbourhood looks fine. As you say you have the same issue on Ethernet, it isn't a WiFi problem.

James2
Fledgling

Update for anyone else with the same issue: After speaking with Three they claim the issue is caused by their network upgrade rollout and have no timescales on when it will be resolved. They therefore agreed to terminate my contract and I'll have to give full fibre a try. It's a shame as the 5g broadband was half the price and worked fine for 2 years but it's just no longer reliable and I can't be resetting the router every couple of hours.