cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor speeds during evening

pob
Fledgling

I’ve had my home broadband connection since Jan 2021. I’ve always had excellent speeds (700+ Mbps) and I’ve often defended three on other forums when people have slated their coverage. 

However in the last 2 months my evening speeds have plummeted to around 20Mbps and connections often stutter. Playing 4K content on streaming services is difficult as I either get frequent buffering or poor picture quality. 

This must be a network connection/congestion issue as I have similar speeds on the other SIM cards in the household using a variety of devices. 

Devices:

• NR5103E 5G Hub (three broadband contract)
  • Deco XE75 Mesh WiFi
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max (smarty SIM)
  • iPhone 13 Pro (smarty SIM)
  • iPad Pro Cellular (smarty SIM)

Speeds are brilliant in the morning and afternoon. They plummet only in the evening. This is on WiFi and Ethernet.  Poor speeds also happen on wifi directly to the 5G Hub and via the Deco Mesh.  As mentioned already poor speeds also happen independently on the different Smarty SIMs in the three Apple devices when not on WiFi.

Can anything be done or am I stuck with unusable speeds?

thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

I think Smarty is also using the Three network.

It sounds like there's an increase in traffic in the evenings due to simply more people using the network.

Is the router dropped down to 4G in the evenings?

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Yeah Smarty is our sister company and use Three UK rather than having their own masts.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

pob
Fledgling

No it stays on 5G.

I tried 4G manually to see if it made a difference. 4G was even slower and useless. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @pob,

I'm really sorry, it does sound like this is congestion based on all the info you've shared. Are we acknowledging an issue on the Network Status Checker?

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

pob
Fledgling

No, I’ve been checking the network status regularly and no issues have been reported. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for checking, I can't see any other possibility than mast/area congestion here. I'll PM you a link to some colleagues that can have a closer look into your connection in case this issue is somehow not flagging up properly.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Bazowl
Regular

I'm new to 3 and I'm having the same issues it's so slow nothing works apart from my mobile, even then it won't open certain pages. Speed and video tests are showing 10mb download speed, and video bit rate only capable of playing 320p what the hell have I signed up to this is pathetic