cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE 4G router - very poor wi-fi signal? VPN issues?

Joe1
Fledgling

I just took out a 4G home broadband contract as my FTTC is so unreliable and there's no sign of fibre to prem here anytime soon.

Initial testing looked good - around 120-140Mbps...

However, I've since run into a few issues:

• Router is at back of house (strongest signal there) and PS4 is at front of house - PS4 wouldn't connect at all
  • ...moved router to front of house, PS4 now connects but gets about 10-20Mbps, even if router is in the same room
  • With other devices, I get about 100Mbps in the same room as the router, but move to another room and it drops to about 20...seems the wi-fi signal from the router is very weak? I live in a standard 3-bed semi, neither of these rooms are part of any extension, the physical distance is about 10 yards.
  • My wife's VPN won't connect at all on her work laptop, so she can't use the 3 broadband at all.

I've tried using three.co.uk as the APN as suggested in other threads, but there was no improvement to speeds.

Just wondering if there is a fix for these problems, if anyone else has had the same experience? Otherwise I'm going to have to return it and wait for FTTP to arrive 😞

2 REPLIES 2
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello, Joe1.

Welcome to the Three Community. 

It sounds like the cellualr network side of things is running OK, since you can get a good connection at 1 side of the house. The issue that sticks out here then would be the WiFi side of things. 

It's unlikely that the WiFi signal strength would increase or improve as a result of anything done on Three's side. If the WiFi is at its limit, its at its limit. You could try extending the WiFi networking using a wireless or wired extender. This would allow you to increase the WiFi coverage while leaving the router in the optimal position within the house.

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Joe1
Fledgling

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply, I thought there's probably not much to be done.

It's a bit baffling that Three ship such poor routers with a home broadband service - I can't imagine it works well for many people in an average-sized house. It's a shame because in the same room as the router, I can get 150Mbps+