cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel NR5103 failover

duncanpage4
Fledgling

Hi,
I'm new here and self taught at networking so please be patient with me!

I've been on the Three network for some time now but regularly have dropouts from my router.
From lots of research I see the Zyxel NR5103 isn't the easiest router to get along with. I also periodically get problems with the nearest cell tower going down and lose signal, confirmed by my mobile phone signal disappearing too.

I also have another broadband supply to the house on a copper line. Speeds are obviously very slow compared to the 400mbps-900mbps I get on Three broadband when it works.

I see the Zyxel NR5103 has the option to change the LAN port to a WAN port. Will this let me connect the other suppliers broadband router to the WAN port and give the Three router a backup internet connection if the Three signal goes down, like a Failover (if that's the correct term)?

3 REPLIES 3
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello, Duncan. 

That's an interesting option. As far as I'm aware, the router that's supplied by Three doesn't have a specific option for automatic failover and failback when a disconnect occurs. That's something that would likely be needed in order to do what you've described. 

It might be possible to set up with some 3rd party equipment, but I don't have any specifics on what would be compatible, sadly. Perhaps someone else here on the Community has dabbled in this and can better assist us here? 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

duncanpage4
Fledgling

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply.

I've purchased a TP-Link ER605 which I understand can handle failovers so I'm going to try using that to manage the landline and Three broadband switch overs. I also got a 16 port gigabit switch which will handle all the wired house connections. Now I'm just trying to sort out a VDSL modem without router/wifi to replace the other ISP hardware they supply as it's not possible to put their device in Bridge Mode or IP Passthrough and I think this might be causing double NAT problems according to my NAS drive's automatic detection.
I'll update if I'm successful!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks @duncanpage4, please let us know how you get on. I'm sure this info could be really helpful for other Community members!

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.