cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel NR5103E Router, IP Passthrough, Deco Mesh

sphexx
Fledgling

I’ve had the NR5103E connected to my Deco Mesh system via Ethernet 1 LAN socket with no problems other than occasional lack of service (presumably since I’m in an “outdoor only” 5g area) using the default settings. However I believe I should set the hub to IP Passthrough, so today I did that, without changing any other settings.

Everything is working OK via the Mesh system, both WiFi and Ethernet from the Deco to a switch but two things are puzzling me (no technical qualifications!).

1. The NR5103E is still transmitting WiFi and I can sign in to it but it’s “not connected to the internet”. If that is normal, so be it but I guess this “pointless” WiFi signal could cause interference at some time? My previous experience with a wired router was that in modem mode the WiFi is switched off. I could of course turn off WiFi via the web interface except that … :

2. I can no longer log in to the NR5103E web interface at 192.168.1.1 because the “native” WiFi is non operational. Is there a way to log into the NR5103E with my present setup? I can see that I could start over with a factory reset and then disable the WiFi before setting IP Passthrough, but I’m a bit reluctant to go down that route after reading various threads here where setting IP Passthrough has caused unexpected changes — so I feel lucky that it’s functioned first attempt for me!

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
sphexx
Fledgling

Just to add: I can login to to the hub on 192.168.1.1 using an Ethernet cable via the Mesh system though I get dire warnings about “not safe” etc which I ignore. So I guess my question boils down to should I disable or change the WiFi settings in some way or just leave well alone?

I have now had a drop out for about 5-10 mins this am so that problem is ongoing but not major for my use (not business etc). I think I have a benefit from the Mesh that although this particular system is limited to 100 Mbps the actual WiFi signal is stronger (not surprisingly).

When using the “native” WiFi it varies wildly from moment to moment from near zero (usually 20-50) to 500 Mbps.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @sphexx,

I'm not sure if this thread: Eero 5 Wifi Mesh + NR5103E IP Passthrough will help at all?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.