cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel NR5103E no longer get public IPv4 address how do I use IPv6 for server?

jwhitham
Fledgling

For the last year or so I've been running a Home Assistant server on a RaspberryPi at home it has an IPv4 address which the Zyxel forwards requests from the internet using NAT. I use DuckDNS & Let's Encrypt to handle dynamic dns and SSL. This has worked fine for allowing Home Assistant on my phone to control the house when I'm out.

However about a month ago it stopped working. Upon investigation it seems my Zyxel is now getting an IPv6 address from Three and the IPv4 address is not a public one (192.168.1.2 )

So I thought ok this is fine I can move my server to IPv6 and set DuckDNS to send through the IPv6 address. DuckDNS confirms it has been updated with an IPv6 address (I choose default in Home Assistant DuckDNS client).

However I can't for the life of my work out how to connect from outside. I've tried IPv6 address in square brackets as well as DuckDNS domain name etc checked it starts 2a04 which I think means it's public.

My phone also on Three seems to only get an IPv4 address so maybe I wont be able to connect to my house if it has IPv6?

Any ideas, has anyone got a web server of any sort running on IPv6 behind their Zyxel?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jwhitham,

I'm sorry to hear that our recent update to IPv6 seems to be causing some issues with your set up. We've had a few issues reported with VPNs and some devices not connecting. There's some info on the thread FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection which I suspect will help here too.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

andyvee
Active

This is still happening months later, if IPv6 is enabled on the APN then your public IPv4 address changes every 30 seconds according to IPChicken, Whats My IP etc.

Are Three going to sort this out as enabling IPv6 is a breaking change.

ukcookey
Fledgling

Mine has just begun doing the same