cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g shut down emasculating 4g phone's calling abilities

Geluk
Key player

In Oct 22 bought a NOKIA 4g phone for my wife to prepare for 3g shut down.

Today I find it can only do texts, not calls.

3 CHAT advise VOLTE must be enabled; phone was sold by AMAZON as VOLTE

enabled. It clearly isn't as there's no VOLTE options in settings.

My 4 year old MOTO smartphone hasn't got VOLTE capability but works ok.

Strangely recently saw YOUTUBE VIDEO on how 3g switch off in Australia is causing grief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPlTz-3estM&pp=ygUnM2cgc2h1dCBkb3duIGluIGF1c3RyYWxpYSBjYXVzaW5nIGdya... 

Best solution
Best solution
linewait
Active

Hi @MichaelP 

I followed these steps on my Xperia 1ii and nothing changed (except me having to re-enter all my wifi passwords). I expect the same will be the case for the 10ii.

Can you clarify whether or not VoLTE relies on something being enabled at the phone company end?

The page here on the Sony website implies that it does - if 4G calling or VoLTE isn't available in the settings it says to "contact your network operator".

View solution in conversation

20 REPLIES 20
linewait
Active

I have the same problem using a Sony Xperia 1ii.

It is VOLTE compatible but it seems it needs to be enabled for the specific device by Three.

It does not seem t be enabled for my device type, and Three chat support couldn't help me.

I think my only option may be to move to a different network. From what I can find out, 02 may work.

poziguy
Regular

I have a similar experience with my Punkt. MP02 phone which was specifically designed to work on 4G Volte networks. I read in another post that it is up to the carrier company (in our case Three UK) to put these phones on a "whitelist" and enable them to work on their network. My phone lost its ability to make and receive voice calls around the time it was said that our local 3G mast was switched off. Live chat today said I should go to the three shop to get it checked out, which I will do tomorrow.

KateS
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hey @poziguy,

I'm sorry to hear you've been unable to make or receive calls.

Let us know how you get on after you visit the store or test another device.

Thanks,

Kate

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

poziguy
Regular

It was a bit difficult to get understood at first at the three shop; probably partly because no-one had ever seen or heard of my phone manufacturer or model - a PUNKT. MP02 (version 2). I felt like it was assumed that it was maybe not 4G capable (it looks a bit like a pocket calculator!). The advisors were very friendy and patient, though. As a first attempt, I was given a new SIM card, but that didn't change the situation - at least not initially. The matter was passed on to the shop manager, who seemed very capable, and engaged seriously in helping me to get the problem solved. I was then connected to the 3 customer helpline, where a technical expert "twiddled various knobs" on my phone line, all the way from India, I imagine. As a result, the status of my phone changed from "disconnected" to "connected", and where my phone number had previously been listed as "unknown", it now appeared correctly. This showed me that a trick had definitely  been missed by Three by not alerting me before the changeover away from 3G that I might need to get a new SIM card. But unfortuntely I was still unabe to make any voice calls. So the saga carries on, and I have just updated my support request to PUNKT with the new information. Somewhere in this digital spaghetti junction there must be a missing link; perhaps, if some ingenious person finds the little bridge that still has to be crossed, my life will become possible again, and I will have a working TE-LE-PHONE.

poziguy
Regular

I have new info from PUNKT. They said: "In the meantime we would suggest you to verify with your network operator directly, sharing the bands information to check if your provider can work with the MP02."  AND they sent me the list of Bands that my phone Punkt MP02 supports. They are    4G: FDD LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 ,12, 17, 19, 20   Now WHO at THREE can I ask for this information?  BTW : I mean - really !!! - these are both supposed to be reputable companies; why do I have to do all the work here??? Come on guys, you can phone, DM, email, Whatsapp, even text each other . . .

poziguy
Regular

I was told at the Three shop that there is no "list" of 4G phones that are accepted by them, and if it can do "VoLTE" it should work. You can check my reply to Kate S (from the community support team) for more details of the "procedure" I am currently going through to get my voice calls back working.

Geluk
Key player

Placed the sim in my Moto Smart phone, and it shows this; in that device, texts not working either; have ordered replacement sim. Hope that fixes. Screenshot of sim in my other device.SIM in another phone.SIM in another phone.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Geluk,

Most dual SIM phones only support 2/3G in slot 2/SD card slot. Can you let me know if the SIM starts picking up service in slot 1 and when selected as the primary SIM in settings?

There's some more troubleshooting that may help here: How to ensure your phone is ready for the 3G switch off 

Which model of Motorola is this?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Geluk
Key player

Model is G6 PLAY Jonathan.