cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make or receive calls.

MichaelW
Fledgling

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help. The issue started a couple of weeks ago where calls might drop randomly, but for the last week I've been unable to make or receive calls.

My phone can display a full signal, but if I attempt to make a call, either the signal just drops and the network becomes "unavailable", or nothing happens--no ring/call tone. From what family and friends tell me when I contact them through something such as Facebook messenger--on their end, it will either ring for a few seconds and go straight to voice mail, or tell them that I'm on another line. 

This happens both inside of my home, out in the open.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the SIM, resetting network settings on my handset, and even going far as a factory reset of the phone itself. 

I can, however, receive texts (thank goodness because of verification codes) and use internet data. I am PAYG. My phone is a little outdated, a Samsung Galaxy S7, but it does have 4G/LTE--and I'm mentioning this because I'm aware 3G is being phased out. I very recently topped up and did get a text confirming it--as well as addons appearing on my account dashboard. 

I hope I'm providing enough information here to troubleshoot. 

6 REPLIES 6
Zoidmac
Fledgling

I’m having exactly the same issue - also for the last few months I’ve been running out of data halfway through the month, and I have never run out of data before

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MichaelW@Zoidmac

This could be relating to our 3G switch off, depending on phone settings and compatibility this may explain why texts and data are working, but not calls.

You can check if there's been any 3G masts switched off in a postcode area using our Coverage Checker.

There's also more info on our 3G switch off info page.

Some older 4G devices might not be 4G calling compatible. You can check your device on our device support page. Pick your device, go to Network, then check that 4G Calling (VoLTE UK & Abroad) is ticked. 

If your device is compatible, all you need to do is make sure 4G Calling is switched on in your device settings. (If there's no mention of 4G calling in your settings, also check if this is referred to as VoLTE, as this may vary depending on your manufacturer and software).

If it’s not compatible, you’ll still be able to send and receive texts and use 4G data temporarily. But you won’t be able to make or receive calls using 4G. 

When we switch off 3G, calls, texts, and data will only be available when using a 4G Calling – VoLTE device. If your device isn’t compatible, you’ll need to change to one that’s compatible with 4G Calling to continue using our network.  

I hope this helps, if you need any assistance determining if this is 3G switch off related please let me know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

MichaelW
Fledgling

Thank you for your response. 

I have triple checked. My handset does supposedly support VoLTE, and I've had those settings ticked for a while. There is still 3G coverage in my area, and 4G

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MichaelW,

Can you double check your phone isn't awaiting a software update? Your VoLTE may be failing to kick in if you're using an out of date software version.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I've had a little bit more of a dig into this for you @MichaelW. It looks like for Samsung phones you may have a VoLTE option in both your phone app settings, and in the general settings, so depending on your software, you may need to have this switched on in both places.

If you open the phone app, check in the top right for 3 dots or a "more" button, and check if the settings listed in there have any reference to 4G calling or VoLTE.

If you open your full list of apps, or drag the notification bar down from the top of the screen you can also find your overall device settings, (usually a gear/cog symbol).

In this area you'd be looking for connection, and mobile networks, then check if 4g calling/VoLTE is active in there.

Sorry if we're going over the same ground there, but just need to double check with you as it wasn't clear if you'd checked in one of these locations or both.

Thanks,
Jonathan

PMC
Fledgling

Worst decision I made ever signing up to three last Friday, now no signal can’t make calls, receive texts or make calls over WiFi, customer support is pathetic and not at all helpful