Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert Test

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Everyone,

We’re aware that a number of customers have not received yesterday's test alert. We’re working closely with the government to understand why and make sure it doesn't happen when the system is in use.

There's been a few threads created about this subject since yesterday, so I'll merge these together under this one.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Following the emergency alerts test yesterday, we’ve been working with the government and have identified a technical issue that meant some of our customers didn’t receive the alert. This morning our engineers deployed a fix meaning there will be no issue with future alerts.

There are no plans to run the test again, but Sunday's activity means an issue was identified and in a real emergency we can make sure everyone across the country gets an alert.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

51 REPLIES 51
Peter_L
Active

I haven’t got any alarm either 🤷🏻‍♂️

lcheshire08
Fledgling

Myself, partner and daughter all on 3. None of us got the alert. 

Thebiz75
Fledgling

I didn't get it either on 4G. Typical high value service from three. 

Hijcf
Fledgling

Of the Seven three phones in our family, NONE sounded the emergency alert. One on GiffGaff did alert ok 

Ian56
Fledgling

I didn't get it either

techbloke
Active

A review is apparently being launched into why some didn't receive it so don't worry, as always 'lessons will be learnt' 

https://news.sky.com/story/emergency-alert-test-millions-of-phone-users-in-uk-receive-message-and-lo...

Peter_L
Active

Why is it Three always to fail?

p1d9m73
Active

We have 4 phones in our house, 2 iphones, a galaxy s10 and s23, all on contract with sky but when we are all home we are connected to threes 5g home broadband,  WiFi calling disabled on all phones and emergency alerts enabled on all phones. On my s23 I got the alert at 2.59pm, my 2 sons got alert at 3pm but my wife never got one. We were all in the same house connected to the 5g home broadband. Not sure why my wife was only one that didn't get the alert 🤷‍♂️

techbloke
Active

The problem doesn't look to be specific to a network so the Cabinet Office are likely to be having discussions with representatives from all the operators to find out why some people didn't get it while others did.

Insofar as I'm aware the alert was sent via the mobile network so in this case the issue would lie with Sky/Virgin Media O2 as your router wouldn't react in anyway to it.

It's worth bearing in mind the mobile networks in the UK are made up of a wide variety of kit from different vendors and some of it maybe running different software versions to pieces of the same kit located elsewhere.

As I commented on a thread on a forum elsewhere started by someone that was outraged it was happening at all and was spouting the usual conspiracies about being tracked etc (which is all complete nonsense by the way), this is one of the reasons they were running the test.

For the record I don't work for any of the parties involved so I can only speculate, I'm just an IT professional with a keen interest in how all this stuff works.

MZone
Maestro

From @ThreeUK official Twitter feed: We're aware that a number of customers have not received the test alert.
We're working closely with the government to understand why and ensure it doesn't happen when the system is in use.

I’m have a dual SIM on Three and Lyca and received 2 alerts.

From reactions on social media this issue is not exclusive to just 3 customers.