cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone storage

Ewa
Regular

How much storage do I need, do the newer phones need more? I am not a fan of sending my photos to the cloud but what is an alternative??

3 REPLIES 3
AlexN
Employee
Employee

Hello Ewa!

It's such a open ended question & ultimately very difficult to answer as there is not one shoe fits all solution. Do newer devices need more storage? Generally yes, as technology advances, manufacturers add additional features & benefits which in turn take up more storage. 

Generally speaking, the content that takes up the most storage space on any device is any media, music, videos, pictures & downloaded content through apps, like Netflix shows, Sky, Facebook, Snapchat are common examples. If you aren't keen on sending your pictures & videos to the cloud, then you could buy a SD card if your phone is compatible, or an external storage stick which you can plug into your phone, but I would definitely consider using the Cloud, its fantastic once you get it set up & working! To answer your final question,  I wouldn't consider getting a phone with any less than 64GB of internal storage if you want to future proof yourself & your device. 

I hope this helps.

JazzN-92
Active

Storage is a big issue with the newer phones due to not having sd slots....

But definitely worth trying the cloud because if someone was to happen to your phone, sd card corrupts or you lose a memory stick for examples... Then all your photos and videos are gone forever so it's always best to upload them to the cloud or even Google photos, or even something such as drop box so that you always have access to them from any or most devices that your are signed into. 

Viksmath
Regular

256GB storage should suffice for most requirements.  If you need more, SD cards and USB storage sticks are a good alternative to use as secondary storage.